Info on model Batch no

McQ

Hi All,
Does anybody know if there is a register for all Harley Davidson models?
The reason is I have a Harley FXWG Evo spec model Registered in Jan 1985, and This model only came out in 1985,I know this is an early one because the first ones used a Shovelhead late type frame, which had a dimple squashed on one of the top tubes to allow the new engine's rocker box shape to fit. So it would be interesting to know whether I have one of the first batches, Who knows, It could have even been the first? Though I doubt that....

Almost certainly only the factory would/could answer such a question and by past experience asking them is very much down to luck who reads your request. There are many of us who consider the "transitional" first Evo's a good find for their old four speed box matched to the Evo motor, giving you the chance of a kick start and many simpler features which are easier to work on. Whilst the Wide Glide model seems to be most remembered the FXEF fat bob tank SuperGlide is an often overlooked good all rounder. Future collectables I suspect.

Your Engine/Vin number will tell you where & when manufactured, as well as what model & model year it is.
It is worth noting that H-D would start manufacture of the next years model in August of the current year, so you could have a 1985 model actually manufactured in 1984!
When the bike was registered and as 'what' to some extent is irrelevant as this can easily be changed/incorrect depends a lot as to what the registering dealer enters the information as.
That's why you should always refer to the 'Model' year when ordering parts rather than when it was registered, it is not unknown for bike to sit around for a long time, well in excess of a year after manufacture to being actually registered!

1710070621033.png

There are also provision in the Engine/Vin numbering system for mid-year introductions & production changes, as such I had a late '87 model as opposed to an '87 that was identified with this type of change to reflect production changes and identify it as different.

Enter you Vin into H-D com link below and this will tell you what model year and give you free access to the wiring diagrams, owners handbook & correct parts catalogue for your bike.
H-D .com VIN Look UP

Last edited:
Just to cut short a long explanation, basically the EVO engine is taller than the Shovel and requires more room for the rocker boxes, so yes it is in effect a modified Shovel frame but more than just and flattened tube, this only applied to the Solid Mounts, the Rubber mount FXR Evo used the same frame as the shovel head, as there was more clearance, this can be identified as the frames are the same part number.

Your Engine/Vin number will tell you where & when manufactured, as well as what model & model year it is.
It is worth noting that H-D would start manufacture of the next years model in August of the current year, so you could have a 1985 model actually manufactured in 1984!
When the bike was registered and as 'what' to some extent is irrelevant as this can easily be changed/incorrect depends a lot as to what the registering dealer enters the information as.
That's why you should always refer to the 'Model' year when ordering parts rather than when it was registered, it is not unknown for bike to sit around for a long time, well in excess of a year after manufacture to being actually registered!

View attachment 1200112

There are also provision in the Engine/Vin numbering system for mid-year introductions & production changes, as such I had a late '87 model as opposed to an '87 that was identified with this type of change to reflect production changes and identify it as different.

Enter you Vin into H-D com link below and this will tell you what model year and give you free access to the wiring diagrams, owners handbook & correct parts catalogue for your bike.
H-D .com VIN Look UP
How do I get the month built? as it just says year..ⁿ

Newer models will have the specific month on the VIN, plate older models such as yours would need to be confirmed by the sequential number against factory records, so would need to get this information from the Motor Company records which most likely tell you the week built but probably not the day.

Newer models will have the specific month on the VIN, plate older models such as yours would need to be confirmed by the sequential number against factory records, so would need to get this information from the Motor Company records which most likely tell you the week built but probably not the day.
How do I go about doing this?

How do I go about doing this?
Good question, I don't have a definitive answer to this!

I would suggest as you bike is around 40 years old you may well be looking towards the H-D Museum & Archives, rather than the Motor Company itself.

H-D do not generally publish e-mails for making contact, don't even bother with H-D UK, you will need to make contact with Milwaukee and have two choices, either telephone, the advantage here is they do speak English, well sort of, but don't be put off, this may be the quickest way to get an answer or directed to the right place, or write a letter, but this as Paul Parslow said, this can be a bit hit or miss and depends whom deals with it, although now there is a proper Museum & Archive staff they may well provide a better service!

However you will need to consider Harley-Davidson may well not provide this sort of dating service/information to individuals and you may have to go through a Dealership to get it and/or either-way may well be chargeable as with other motor manufacturers who provide a dating/authentication service, as it all involves someones time looking for that information!

1710146930339.png

As a side note, we recently had a discussion over some photos from the York facility around the time period your bike would have been constructed and you can see the Bike Build data sheets, for the want of a better term, attached to each bike cradle, at least all the information on these should be available, with week assembled and possibly the dealer they were originally shipped to, possibly this only for the US domestic market!

1985: inside the H-D factory at the start of the Evo era

All 1985 AND 1986 Wide Glides (FXWG) as well as the 1985 Super Glide Fat Bob (FXEF) and the 1985 Low Rider (FXSB) had that unique frame set-up. There is no ''first batch'' or ''early' 1985 FXWG.

1985 was not the only year for that unique FXWG. There was also a limited-production 1986 FXWG, which is the rarest Evo. Claims of the exact number vary but no more than 900 were produced. The 1986 version was pretty much identical to the 1985 but with different paint/decals. It was a landmark motorcycle, the only 4spd Evo that year, and the final big twin Harley-Davidson made with a 4spd gearbox and a kickstarter.

Each of those models I mention used modified Shovelhead FX frames. This was at a time when the factory was ''clearing out the parts bin'' and using up remaining Shovelhead inventory.

The frame backbone on these particular 4spd Evos (there were also two 4spd Evo Softails, in 1984 and 1985) was raised an inch or so to fit the taller Evo, with the consequence that the seat fitment also had to be modified. A ''tongue'' plate was welded on, and seats made by the factory (and briefly by Mustang in the aftermarket) for the 1985 FXEF, FXSB, FXWG and1986 FXWG have a ''female'' slot on their base to fit the frame tongue. They do not fit any other previous FX Shovelhead model.

The frame was also shaved at the seatpost and at the downtubes, to fit the Evo rocker boxes and exhaust.

The MoCo is very helpful even these days with customer queries about bikes modern and older. Definitely call the customer service helpline. If they cannot help you they will put you through to the archive/museum. Loads of Shovelhead owners have received detailed info about their particular motorcycle, including build date, via this method of contact.

PS: here's a picture of the tweaked FX frame for 4spd Evos. The raised backbone for the taller Evo engine is obvious. Look closely to see the shaved frame tubes and the uhique seat tongue which is just above the seat post.
IMG_2547.jpg

Whilst the Wide Glide model seems to be most remembered the FXEF fat bob tank SuperGlide is an often overlooked good all rounder. Future collectables I suspect.
Already are, Paul. Prices even rising in the USA now. The money is ALL ih original bikes though, not customised ones. Original paint is what all buyers are hunting. It is now hard to find an original example of any of these for under 8,000 English pounds in the USA.

Down here in Australia and New Zealand, hold on to your cuppa, but mint original 85 4spd Evo FXs are hitting 15,000 UK pounds now, and an absolutely mint and bone stock 1986 FXWG was sold by a Melbourne shop last year for 20,000 UK pounds.

Customised/repainted ones are worth 40-50% less. A cruel twist of fate because the first thing anybody did to their new or factory-paint bike at that time was get it sprayed. Factory paint was uncool! I bought a 95% original 1985 FXEF from its original owner in early 1992 (it was purchased at Warrs in early 1985) and set about ruining it in just that fashion. Ah, the wisdom of old age....

Last edited:
All 1985 AND 1986 Wide Glides (FXWG) as well as the 1985 Super Glide Fat Bob (FXEF) and the 1985 Low Rider (FXSB) had that unique frame set-up. There is no ''first batch'' or ''early' 1985 FXWG.

1985 was not the only year for that unique FXWG. There was also a limited-production 1986 FXWG, which is the rarest Evo. Claims of the exact number vary but no more than 900 were produced. The 1986 version was pretty much identical to the 1985 but with different paint/decals. It was a landmark motorcycle, the only 4spd Evo that year, and the final big twin Harley-Davidson made with a 4spd gearbox and a kickstarter.

Each of those models I mention used modified Shovelhead FX frames. This was at a time when the factory was ''clearing out the parts bin'' and using up remaining Shovelhead inventory.

The frame backbone on these particular 4spd Evos (there were also two 4spd Evo Softails, in 1984 and 1985) was raised an inch or so to fit the taller Evo, with the consequence that the seat fitment also had to be modified. A ''tongue'' plate was welded on, and seats made by the factory (and briefly by Mustang in the aftermarket) for the 1985 FXEF, FXSB, FXWG and1986 FXWG have a ''female'' slot on their base to fit the frame tongue. They do not fit any other previous FX Shovelhead model.

The frame was also shaved at the seatpost and at the downtubes, to fit the Evo rocker boxes and exhaust.

The MoCo is very helpful even these days with customer queries about bikes modern and older. Definitely call the customer service helpline. If they cannot help you they will put you through to the archive/museum. Loads of Shovelhead owners have received detailed info about their particular motorcycle, including build date, via this method of contact.

PS: here's a picture of the tweaked FX frame for 4spd Evos. The raised backbone for the taller Evo engine is obvious. Look closely to see the shaved frame tubes and the uhique seat tongue which is just above the seat post.
View attachment 1200207

Already are, Paul. Prices even rising in the USA now. The money is ALL ih original bikes though, not customised ones. Original paint is what all buyers are hunting. It is now hard to find an original example of any of these for under 8,000 English pounds in the USA.

Down here in Australia and New Zealand, hold on to your cuppa, but mint original 85 4spd Evo FXs are hitting 15,000 UK pounds now, and an absolutely mint and bone stock 1986 FXWG was sold by a Melbourne shop last year for 20,000 UK pounds.

Customised/repainted ones are worth 40-50% less. A cruel twist of fate because the first thing anybody did to their new or factory-paint bike at that time was get it sprayed. Factory paint was uncool! I bought a 95% original 1985 FXEF from its original owner in early 1992 (it was purchased at Warrs in early 1985) and set about ruining it in just that fashion. Ah, the wisdom of old age....
Thanks for all the info Dave,
That's the frame I have, but mine is clearly not original... In paint or most other parts, Especially the four plug conversion with crane ignition kit, Or the hydraulic clutch conversion and primary adjuster, Not to mention the stretched tank, fat bob rear wheel, Rev tech (esq) front wheel, JB brakes, S&S carb and Oil pump and so many other goodies....

Thanks for all the info Dave,
That's the frame I have, but mine is clearly not original... In paint or most other parts, Especially the four plug conversion with crane ignition kit, Or the hydraulic clutch conversion and primary adjuster, Not to mention the stretched tank, fat bob rear wheel, Rev tech (esq) front wheel, JB brakes, S&S carb and Oil pump and so many other goodies....
And?
You going put it back to original or go with what you got durr?

Back