International Rally

Army

Club Member
I remember reading a thread regarding numbers at future international rallies. I was thinking would it be possible to open it to American and British motorcycles some may say and where do we draw the line and I slightly agree but bigger numbers bring in bigger financial gains for the club. Its just a thought but don't shake your head and shout no no no that's too easy to say no, have a think and throw more ideas into the pot

the problem is age ,,,,, but tobe honest i dont like the bigger rallies ,so to me keep it as it is for now ,,,,
i probably got another 7yrs doing what i love ,,, that takes me to 80 ,,,now if i can still doit i will
at the moment i camp every month of the year ,,,,with good gear its not a problem ,,YET
i think as we get older the club will shrink or one rallying ,, unless there is accommodation close by ,,,,
we can see this happening now ,
so the revenue will drop so i think we have to go back to the older ways maybe just one band on the Saturday ,,
with the gathering i am involved with we dont have bands but the batter is great ,,,
not for everyone but it seems to work for us ,,,,as the Vintage & Sportster brilliant event and it keeps the price down

I think a combination of age and health restrict folk from attending. I do a good few bike nights and day shows these days but shy away from camping. I have tickets for the international but have booked a hotel in malton. Back to the OPs post - i get the financial gain, but IMO the club is a one marque club and if it was opened to all really defeats the object. You may as well be at an regular rally. The HDRGB works well rally wise so no need to open the doors to other marques. It is one of the things that makes us what we are. I have no problems with other brands of bike, and ive owned a few, but apart from guests on other brands i think it should be HD and Indian only (by Indian i even mean the modern ones).

Tbh, I think Guzzis have more in common with us than Brit bikes. And, where do you draw the line with Brits? Would new Enfields or BSA's be accepted?

Tbh, I think Guzzis have more in common with us than Brit bikes. And, where do you draw the line with Brits? Would new Enfields or BSA's be accepted?
That is if you accept a 90 degree cylinder alignment issue, I would be more inclined to accept classic bikes than modern electronic gizmos that have to be serviced by dealers and will have no future spares availability.
Oh, that will include new Harley's then ---
At the moment, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
Plenty of time for that.

As some of you know i run the distinguished gentlemans ride in Nth Devon .( 19th MAY 2024 )
if anyone has done this there always been a problem with the type of bike allowed ,,,
a mine field in the past they would nt allow Harleys ,,,,but brand new triumph ,,,
its relaxed a little now but no sports bikes ,,most others are now excepted ,,,
so with are international who polices what come on site ,, it would just end up another open rally ,,,
your numbers would be increased but i think a lot of members would not be intrested

as to the DGR if we have a few bikes that turn up that dont conform i simply ask them to ride at the back or tell them the destination so they can meet us there ,,,and a donation for the charity ,this seems to work with now problems

Last edited:
Your right DJ where do we draw the line regarding what motorcycle can sit on the rally site. We are putting a few years under our belts and as time moves on the years will take its toll on the membership. A large number of the members started out on Japenese bikes or even Brit iron due to the cost and maybe the lack of availability of Harleys but we are all now in a position to own a Harley. So how do we attract new members and change younger riders attitude to Harley motorcycles, well maybe inviting them to the table is a start

Army ,,dont know if you have done any of the alternative type events ie Trip out ,,Hay ride,,Hook up ,,
all these attract younger Harley riders ,,,, see say there just Hipsters but there a lot of hard riding older American iron
and with that they have to understand how they work and be able to fix them ,

so there is a future but most youngsters dont want to commit to a club ,,,,there lies the problem

Army ,,dont know if you have done any of the alternative type events ie Trip out ,,Hay ride,,Hook up ,,
all these attract younger Harley riders ,,,, see say there just Hipsters but there a lot of hard riding older American iron

so there is a future but most youngsters dont want to commit to a club ,,,,there lies the problem
Maybe john they are doing what we once did or were before we gained age and wisdom…🤔

The numbers of people in Sporster Sickness is huge but a lot of them don't seem to want to also join the Riders Club. Not sure if they don't like the type of Rallies we do or if we need to change in order to gain more members.

The numbers of people in Sporster Sickness is huge but a lot of them don't seem to want to also join the Riders Club. Not sure if they don't like the type of Rallies we do or if we need to change in order to gain more members.

its not the club its all clubs Golf cricket ,sports clubs are all having problem with recruiting new members ,,,

Not everybody that owns a Harley Davidson wants to spend a weekend camping and talking bollocks in some rugby club bar.
It's good to see regions organising ridouts and the PR team attending events.
Other motorcycling related options are available.

How do DJ, I've attended 2 out of the 3 and they were cracking rallies with some great folk in attendance but I had a feeling that some might be in it for the long run but some might disappear when the cool wears off

How do DJ, I've attended 2 out of the 3 and they were cracking rallies with some great folk in attendance but I had a feeling that some might be in it for the long run but some might disappear when the cool wears off
exactly my thoughts but as we all know when we were young lots started to ride but only the few stayed with it ,,,
the same thing will happen with the Hipsters i know a few and they are dedicated and knowledgeable, and i can relate to them more that most in this club ,,, except for the vintage side ,,, scratch_head

so the revenue will drop so i think we have to go back to the older ways maybe just one band on the Saturday ,,
with the gathering i am involved with we dont have bands but the batter is great ,,,
not for everyone but it seems to work for us ,,,,as the Vintage & Sportster brilliant event and it keeps the price down
I'm more than happy with one or no bands and no need for one on the Friday night as I'd rather talk to people. I know I'm biased here as music has never been big in my life and as I've got deafer most bands are too loud ( I know, I'm a sad old git ) and instead of music it just becomes noise.

I’ve been around the club since 94, joined In 2000, I’m probably still one of the youngest members ( actually got asked if I was with the band last year.. wasn’t in uniform ). I do the other rallies and host a few shows myself.
Our club rallies are what they are. Over the last 15/20 years we’ve been lazy, turned our back on the stuff the younger HD riders are into.. sportster sickness, the younger chopper scene, the emerging club style ( fxr / dyna bros ) hill climb events (Malle )
I love the riders club rallies for what they are, if I had my choice I’d bring back ( shit bike parking 😂 ) but I think if you bring in non American brand bikes to rallies the few who do go will probably just not bother, I’m nobody but I’d personally just walk away.

Back