Is it legal, No front mudguard

PeteG

Trying to get a definitive answer on the question of front mudguards, Yes or No is it legal.
I've been told it's not an MOT issue and not checked...................only if fitted is when the integrity of said front fenders are scrutinised.

Cheers all

Cheers Roach
I think I may have been watching to many chopper build programs on Youtube where everyone have removed the front fender.

Is there a legal size?.
If not, you coukd fit a U shape fork brace, where mudguard bolts on. Technically a mudguard.😆

Apart from some of the Glides the front mudguards are too short to stop the regulators from getting a pasting anyway. The shorter the guard is the more you catch in the face. Even a bit of field runoff on a dry day will be all over you and the bike.💦

You might like to look at where your voltage regulator sits, then ask yourself if it's really a good idea to shower it with any more water, crud and stones than is necessary, simply for the sake of thinking you look cool.

Just saying.
Apart from some of the Glides the front mudguards are too short to stop the regulators from getting a pasting anyway. The shorter the guard is the more you catch in the face. Even a bit of field runoff on a dry day will be all over you and the bike.💦
Indeed. 👍
Radiator was always protected by a stone guard I made and in any case the mudguard is back on now.
As you can see it affords little protection for the regulator.

Mother Road (6).jpg

I fitted an extension to my front guard when I had my 1200 Sportster to protect the alternator.
Where do you get that the alternator is pumping 35 to 40 amps to the regulator? It only supplies the power required.
Have you got a mass of electrical equipment fitted? 40 amps is a 480 watt alternator! I didn’t know the alternators were that big.

Alternators on lots of Harleys are rated at between 30 and 45 Amps.Yes it only provides the Amps needed to the Bike depending on what is being used. Imagine a Dresser with Radio on, Heared Grips and Seat, Lights, Intercom, Sat. Nav. Etc. All that power is being taken from the Battery and the Alternator and Regulator work to put the Charge back into the Battery.
Perhaps I should have said ”is capable of” rather than “is”.

Bit late to the party but found this;

Regulation 63 of “The Road Vehicles
(Construction and Use) Regulations
1986 (SI 1986/1078)” as amended.
Provides for the fitting of wings or
mudguards to vehicles to prevent mud or
water being thrown up by the wheels or
tracks.
63(1) This regulation applies to:
(a) invalid carriages;
(b) heavy motor cars, motor cars and
motor cycles