Late 1970's Photos

Re: Late 1970's Photos

Found another shot of that green Electra at Brighton '79 - now I see that it is from the french club HDC Les Morfals, not sure if they are still around - yet another FLH behind! scan0034.jpg

Got some of Geoff "Captain Confusion" Bowering's photos to scan, found some more 1979 Brighton Super Rally - again more Electras, including that crazy one that must have been the most photographed machine there.scan0003.jpgscan0004.jpg

Some old faces (Tony Wade, Bob Hammer, Noddy Farrell, Dave Parker and (??can't make name come..) also at '79 SR. The colourful Duo I am pretty certain belonged to Albert Emmett. The wheel disc was, think he said, from an industrial washing machine?scan0001.jpgscan0006.jpgscan0007.jpg

The colourful Duo I am pretty certain belonged to Albert Emmett. The wheel disc was, think he said, from an industrial washing machine?View attachment 31638

It was indeed Paul. Albert was a very clever bloke (a master plumber by trade) and this is how he told it to me. He'd been to Fred Warr's and seen one of Fred's bikes with the "beauty trims" common in the 1950's; Albert asked Fred to get him some and Fred wouldn't play ball. Albert's revenge was to fabricate the ones in the picture, and then tell everyone that he'd bought them from Fred, giving out a spurious part number. Goes without saying that Fred got a fair number of pointless phone calls on the subject, i can only imagine what he said about Albert afterwards!

........Albert's revenge was to fabricate the ones in the picture, and then tell everyone that he'd bought them from Fred, giving out a spurious part number. Goes without saying that Fred got a fair number of pointless phone calls on the subject,...........!

well, that certainly conforms to my idea of a tasty prank :v_funny:

By then I had a '77XLH - there were always a few Varese two-strokes at rallies back then, ridden by 18/19 year olds and a few girlfriends. The SS versions seemed most common, then learners still had the 250cc limit so 125s were not that popular (despite being the better bike) but though we saw a few 350 four-strokes I never remember seeing the rare 350 two-stroke.

Some more of Geoff's shots from 1979. First John Andrew's "Duper Glide", he got back the engine and box from his stolen '73FX off the insurers and mated them to a Duo frame with FX forks. Turned out to be a healthy machine. Second is the FLH of Frank Horton from up t'north (forgot where exactly,..Southport area I think?), he was a narrow boat builder and fitted Lockheed calipers (dual front, single rear) to the bike and re-upholstered the buddy seat to be narrower for his missus. He went off to the States to start a new life.scan0008.jpgscan0012.jpg

Next are two shots of Brian Yorke-Williams setting up a group shot outside the house, in the second you can see Perry with hand on waist. (also a cheeky X-90 in shot).
The white stripped Duo (still handshift) is very familiar but I just can't remember who had it - tell me if you know who.
(our thanks to Geoff for these - and more to come)
scan0018.jpgscan0014.jpgscan0017.jpg

More of Geoff's 1979 Brighton Super Rally pix - another Liberator dresser and a 69FLH with a homemade spin-on oil filter and an impressive twin leading shoe (or four leading shoe, can't make out right side..?) front brake, don't know the make but looks Italian?
(sorry - just noticed I have put blue dresser in earlier post as well)
scan0004.jpgscan0040.jpg

Last edited:

Some oldies from '79 SR - nice U series machine that looks like it might be one of those dutch flathead crew that used to come to Baildon regularly (maybe?), a 1931 V-series and a nicely turned out Hydra just in case Devon John is looking in!
scan0028.jpgscan0039.jpgscan0030.jpg

More of Geoff's 1979 Brighton Super Rally pix - another Liberator dresser and a 69FLH with a homemade spin-on oil filter and an impressive twin leading shoe (or four leading shoe, can't make out right side..?) front brake, don't know the make but looks Italian?

Grimeca Paul. As fitted to Guzzi's and Laverdas and the exquisite MV Agusta 750S. Fantastic brake once set up correctly, which is a "black art"! If memory serves me correctly they're actually a duplex 2LS setup.

Same event, just to show there were other bikes than dressers there! A nice, clean stripped K-series followed by a knuck custom that looks very familiar so may have been a Brit or a Baildon visitor? also this custom that I feel sure I should recognise, anyone able to put an owners name to it..?
scan0024.jpgscan0038.jpgscan0023.jpg

Thanks Kev, I did wonder Grimeca - there is some darkness where a second brake anchor could be, 4LS would certainly be very welcome. Does the red U-series flathead look familiar to you? remember those dutch riders who always pitched in the far corner of the first field on the left at Baildon? mix of Forty-fives and Big Twins?

Could well be; there's a few of them still go, particularly the very tall chap with the shovel and his mate on the "John Deere" UL.

Back