Late 1980's shots

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
Thought this thread could piggy back the one Mr P started - and expand the options for posting!
I'll kick off with some shots from past Tool Hire Officer "Rowdy" (Stuart James Hamilton Graham) which he sent me and told me to share around. First some mucking about at the 1983 Super Rally Sweden, held at the western themed "High Chapparell" venue - some of us showing typical Brit gallows humour. Robin Sweden.jpgIrish Ian Sweden.jpgimg097.jpg

Re: Late 1980's shots

Some of Rowdy's Port Eliot shots, from 1982 plus some of mine from same event.
Perry's 1983.jpgPerry's 1983 (2).jpgimg087.jpgscan0053.jpgscan0054.jpg

Here are some of Rowdy's pix from a 1983 Old English Gentleman beer garden camping weekend when it snowed - first is Rowdy meeting the big snowball that Jeff rolled into his tent porch in the morning..!
Jeff OEG 1983.jpgOld English Gentleman 1983 (2).jpgOld English Gentleman 1983.jpg

Ha! yes! - note to self, never cross over the equator with the Riders Club!

Another photo from Rowdy again with a back story. This is a past club "character", Jeff Scrivens (aka Crazy Jeff) with his 1980 Wide Glide. Like a lot of folks Jeff waited to get a flame tank FXWG then found he would be parked amoung several "flamers" and would have to check the number plate to find his, so he altered it - particularly by fitting a fat front wheel. When Bill "Willie G" Davidson came to the 1983 Littlecote rally we were helping to run, he had quite a chat with Jeff and some time later the Fat Boy appeared - is there a connection? guess we'll never know.
Jeff didn't stop with these changes, after going to the Swedish Super Rally he turned the bike into the creature in the second photo - also from Rowdy.
img099 (2).jpgimg086.jpg

In the second shot in post 2, Rowdy photographed my then girlfriend taking pix of people on a ride out to Torbay from Perrys in July 1982, well she took one of him with her sister taking one of us. That was Rowdy's first Harley (1980 FLH) which was nicked from his front garden and replaced with that brown 1977 Classic in the snow shots. On the same ride you see a rare shot of Dave Parker on his shovel chop. At Torbay we all parked in this bus bay and the next bus to arrive had an ex-member driving it, he came over to the site the next day and rejoined. The fat git in the white shirt at the back is the manager of that there pub who wouldn't serve us - but he still came out for a look.
scan0056.jpgscan0057.jpgscan0055.jpg

Up at Shipley (Baildon) 1982 August Bank Hol - I really liked this long, lean Sportie chop, about the right length I'd chose but with a sprung seat though! The second Sportie chop (taken as light was fading, didn't have my flash with me) was also quite lean. The dresser with mono wheel trailer was from Europe (dutch I think, could be german..) at the time before they (trailer) were legal here and he'd been pulled over many times on the way (included this for Snowflake, if you are out there..?) and finally as proof there was sun at Shipley a distinctive Electra outside the Malt Shovel pub.
scan0060.jpgscan0061.jpgscan0059.jpgscan0058.jpg

Incidently, you see in the dresser and trailer shot how far out on the moor we were - still didn't stop grumpy folk from complaining about the noise! Once after a cop visit I rode into the closest part of town and listened - could just barely make out a distant throb, these must have been the type who didn't like knowing we were out there. (still didn't stop loads of locals trying to sneak in, one of the problems that helped end the event). On the whole the cops were pretty good to us, they really did enjoy the traditional sunday ride out to Harewood House Steam Festival. Did once have a magistrate refuse our drinks license on the grounds "it would encourage drunk riding" (what..?!) which is why we began a drinks ticket exchange system, probably not totally legal...but don't tell anyone, ok?

Oh, just HAD to add this one, also Shipley '82 - for people who have grown up with Evos this is called a gremlin....scan0069.jpg

Hi Paul,
Can you remember who was on the Black and White FL centre left in the Torbay shot, looks at lot like mine?
Previous owner was Russell Barnes if anyone remember him.
Cheers Nick

In the second shot in post 2, Rowdy photographed my then girlfriend taking pix of people on a
ride out to Torbay from Perrys in July 1982, well she took one of him with her sister taking one of us.
That was Rowdy's first Harley (1980 FLH) which was nicked from his front garden and replaced with that brown 1977 Classic in the snow shots. On the same ride you see a rare shot of Dave Parker on his shovel chop. At Torbay we all parked in this bus bay and the next bus to arrive had an ex-member driving it, he came over to the site the next day and rejoined. The fat git in the white shirt at the back is the manager of that there pub who wouldn't serve us - but he still came out for a look.
View attachment 29932View attachment 29933View attachment 29934

Could be, that name does ring a bell...

(also Del & Bridget Evans had a similar FLH...)

Last edited:

Got some more shots, passed on by "Kneeless" Pete Allso past club character who has put some of these on Facebook. First some more Brighton 1984 Super Rally shots, including the ride through town that stretched from Madiera Drive to Hove and back.
Swedish.jpgTrailer.jpgRun t town..jpg

Two more from Kneeless Pete, still at Brighton '84 and one I forgot before from Rowdy of his late mum trying Jeff's "swedish" chop for size.
On the prom.jpgPaint job.jpg

Mum on Jeff's chop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Any moderator know how I can rotate that last photo - the original is correctly orientated....?

As a thank you to Neil I will dedicate these Port Eliot 1983 shots to him - first big Bill Mears kicking his pan chop (and making it look like a smaller bike with his stature) followed by Dave Parker looking fishy...
PE 1983 -6.jpgPE 1983 -5.jpg

Same event, some interesting adaptations. First a nice Forty-five which I can't remember who had it (poss West Country crew?) then Louie Parsloe's (no relation) BSA/Knuckle creature ("Knucksa" - "Buckle" - "Besel" ??) with I think Panther forks.?? (where is Poccer when you need him). Think it was quite fast?

PE 1983 -16.jpgPE 1983 -13.jpgPE 1983 -12A.jpg

These three are Port Eliot in 1980, someone working on their bike at a rally was a common feature back then. The following roof top pair were taken to overlap, I'll try to tape them together and re-scan.
PE 1980 three.jpgPE 1980 two.jpgPE 1980 one.jpg

Back