Low Rider ST Heavy Clutch?

Depends what you have been used to with previous bikes. I think it is a bit heavy. Cable clutches don't have the mechanical advantage that a hydraulic clutch has. Covered 200+ miles yesterday, and the lever felt very heavy by the time I was nearing home. Arthritis doesn't help either.
Heavyish, but manageable I would say. (FXLR)

Depends what you have been used to with previous bikes. I think it is a bit heavy. Cable clutches don't have the mechanical advantage that a hydraulic clutch has. Covered 200+ miles yesterday, and the lever felt very heavy by the time I was nearing home. Arthritis doesn't help either.
Heavyish, but manageable I would say. (FXLR)
Sounds about right from what I've heard. Ok out of town, but in London it could be a bit of a pain with the arthritis.

You've got a Shovel there's no comparison , you'll find the M8 a breeze.
I get the logic, but both my shovel clutches are light. I've tried the M8 Street Bob and it's heavier than mine. Watched a test of the ST and the reviewer reckoned the clutch was heavy.

El Hombre, what do think of your Low Rider generally? Love my FXLR but suppose I shouldn't read all the bad shit about the M8 problems.
Left my engine standard so not en envigingsing too many problems

El Hombre, what do think of your Low Rider generally? Love my FXLR but suppose I shouldn't read all the bad shit about the M8 problems.
Left my engine standard so not en envigingsing too many problems
Hi Gez, sorry, I don't have one. Just doing a bit of research. I'm thinking ahead and the ST looks like a great all round bike.

Don't see a problem either, last oil pump mod. 2020 seems to have cured the sumping.
Here's mine packed for Naseby⁹last year.
Not thinking of parting with it any time soon.

20230608_202817.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. What I'm hearing is the ST clutch is fine for the average rider. Might be a tad heavy if you have arthritis in the hand. Mods are available if it is an issue.

I've got Gorilla hands and most harley clutches are heavy compared to say jap bikes, moreso as with harleys I find you have to slip them lots around town. Only Moto Guzzi has even heavier clutches.
I've got a 22 plate FXBBS Street Bob, as has been previously mentioned above fit a "Muller Clutch Ramp" for they say a claimed 50% reduction in lever effort, though its more like 30%, fitted them to both of my buells, its an easy fit can do it yourself and fit some tasty Oberon (UK Made) adjustable levers, imagine can get at least one click closer to the bar.
All in should make your clutch lever much more bearable, I fully intend to fit them on mine.
If your minted you could source a hydraulic clutch conversion and fit a custom slave cylinder from the likes of some place I now forget, though Oberon do make a good one of those too!

Don't see a problem either, last oil pump mod. 2020 seems to have cured the sumping.
Here's mine packed for Naseby⁹last year.
Not thinking of parting with it any time soon.
The later oil pump improves the scavenging it does not prevent sumping. The M8 engine is notorious for causing the oil to cavitate. Hence harley created a better oil pump to improve the scavenging of the cavitating oil. They could not eliminate it due to emissions control systems.
Fit a cheap £20 crankcase vent with an inline non return valve to maintain any minor vacumme and eliminate the possibility of sumping altogether. 20230826_192555.jpg(y)

Last edited:
You've got a Shovel there's no comparison , you'll find the M8 a breeze.
Got a bit of arthritis in me left hand these days and I find my M8 SportGlide just fine.
And yet I found my 2005 StreetRod (hydraulic) just about the heaviest clutch I have ever had to pull.
I remember being stuck in a very slow moving lane somewhere in Germany, too narrow to filter - mile after mile. That had my hand aching for a day or so!
I think Oberon did a revised slave cylinder that made life easier.
No idea what other Rod's were like.

Back