Mikuni 42 mm Carb

G

Gas Axe

Anybody got an opinion on the performance gain over standard ( stage 1 ) carb on 96 XLS 1200,that can be expected when the Mikuni 42 is fitted
Not looking for top end,more bottom end ( OH MATRON ) and easy access to pilot screw,would be good.
Cheers
Gas Axe

Re: Mikuni 42 mm Carb

Anybody got an opinion on the performance gain over standard ( stage 1 ) carb on 96 XLS 1200,that can be expected when the Mikuni 42 is fitted
Not looking for top end,more bottom end ( OH MATRON ) and easy access to pilot screw,would be good.
Cheers
Gas Axe

Hi Gas Axe

On my 2001 1200s I replaced my home made ?Stage 1? CV set up with a HSR 42 (42-10 easy kit I got new off e-bay from the US.) I also have the SE air filter and SEII baloney slash cut silencers. The set up on the carb is ?straight out of the box? with just a little tweek to the idle screw! The bike warms up better; it always seemed to be over fuelling the primary circuit on the CV set up stage1. The bike pulls harder and smoother throughout the whole rev range. Fuel consumption if first rate too as good as original 60+mpg.

On fitting the HSR buy a new manifold to carb rubber gasket (didn?t come with the kit) I routed the cables (after making them as long as possible by winding the adjusters right down to make easy removal from the CV) between the headstock and the upper fork stanchion.

By unclipping the clip/bracket from the main down tube (under the petrol tank) you do have enough room to route the throttle cables (believe me, I did it 4 times until I got it right, with the tank in place!)

You can use one of the cable ties provided in the kit to secure the HT leads if you need to, but I found that there is so little room on the Sport that the HT leads are fine ?floating?!

On the subject of cable length I did find that the ?close? cable (which must be fitted first) was adjusted out to virtually the end of its adjustment (this cable in fact is superfluous) and the ?open? cable was adjusted to about ? of the thread.

Everything worked really well ?out of the box?, just needed to richen the mixture up by turning the screw by about 1/3 turn.

I used my original choke cable with the CV nut and the Mikuni spring and plunger, turned the elbow on the cable upper most and then bent the cable over the inlet manifold, it is a bit bent but works fine!

Well worth the time spent.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions pm me.

Regards DD

Thank you Mr Dastardly
Appreciated,
Cheers
Gas Axe

DD makes a very good point about the choke cable, spring and slide. You have to swap out BOTH the SPRING and the slide when fitting the HSR42.
We had a bike in a couple of weeks ago that was running really rich. Black smoke, sooted up plugs, 30 mpg, the lot. Turned out that the original choke spring had been used by the "mechanic" who fitted the Mikuni carb originally. This did not allow the slide to seat properly, resulting in the bike being ridden with the choke partly on all the time!
Ref Mikuni carbs generally, they are the Rolls Royce of carbs. 9 out of 10 that we fit need no adjustment at all. More often than not, you don't even need to adjust the tickover!

Tooty

Have a look on the mukuni website www.mikuni.com gives a lot of useful info about setting up mikuni HSR carbs.

Back