Motobatt out Yussa in

veggie dave

H-DRCGB Chairman
Forum Staff
So my motobatt battery lasted a year, still has voltage 12.8 but loses drastically on crank, down to 5v.
Let’s see if the new Yussa does any better

The first AGM battery,a West Co, I bought some years age came with paper work saying do not charge before use. I didn't and all was fine. Some years later another one came with out the paper work but I did the same. I think I phoned to check but it's to long ago to be sure. My meter showed about 80% charge on first fitting and went up after the first couple of rides to over 100%. It is too cold to go to the garage for exact figures but if anybody is interested I can check when the suns up.

Ron.

Came empty, add the electrolyte and charge fully. Lots of different batteries out there.

The problem is years ago battery chargers were dumb devices and if left on would end up boiling the battery dry and that would include AGM ones.
New battery chargers being intelligent devices will not overcharge a battery. If the battery is already fully charged then it will basically do a test check and go into monitor mode or shut down.
A reseller may choose to charge the battery before shipping as a QA test but that won't always be the case.
Yuasa I think it is say the strength of the acid will bring a battery to about 80% charge when first activated. So yes it ought to start a bike but it is still best to fully charge it before first use.

It seems even though on plenty of websites there is disclaimers telling us that batteries have to be shipped activated so we don't get the acid to use for something else, resellers are not doing what the legislation tells them. MDS Battery do activate the battery before shipping.

Yuasa AGM batteries are supplied dry charged to the reseller. The acid is put in and the glass mat absorbs it. The seals are put in place and the battery is sealed for life.
ydw4l9D.jpg

Back