MPW tour pak

Kev Meers

Club Member
Hello,
Has anyone bought a tour pak from MPW, I've been looking on line and for £250 compared to the genuine they look like a total bargain. I can't seem to find any reviews though which is a little worrying

Thanks
Kev

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-104223_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-104223_eBay.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 17
The few chinese copies ive seen have been ok. To be honest, the hinges on the genuine one arent that great, so i wouldnt worry too mu h.

I have bought a chopped tour pak of ebay on a deal for £160 looks ok just waiting for the mount. Going to make a base plate for some extra strength.

Hi kev, just noticed your post about the MPW tourpak and wondering if you purchased or not and if so any good.
Cheers
Paul.

I purchased a chopped tour pak from Motea on ebay, Chinese made looks very much like if not the same as MPW.
Very pleased with it does the job just like the ones from the Moco at a fraction of the price, what's not to like.

Reactions: M&M
Thanks for you imput on Motea, I’ve also bought from Motea before brexit and very happy both on delivery and value for money.
Worst thing as now is not knowing how much taxes will be on delivery, it’s a shame Motea don’t do as Louis do and sort the import taxes ect at point of sale, I got a Koso odometer last year and it states no more to pay on delivery, I still rang them to confirm before I touched the pay now 😂.
Out of interest did you purchase before brexit or after, if so can you remember any figures by any chance as Motea have the box I want and MPW are out of stock.
Cheers.

I believe that Motea just follows the HMRC rules.

If the shipment is under the HMRC duty threshold of £135, then Motea charge UK VAT and remit it to the UK.

Over £135, they leave it to UK customs to charge duty and VAT, then the shipping company adds a handling charge.

That duty threshold is why companies like W&W Cycles, for example, have a minimum order of £135 for UK buyers - they can't be bothered with registering for UK VAT.

I'm quite impressed if Louis Moto are able to deal with duty, VAT, and handling charge at time of purchase.

Thanks for you imput on Motea, I’ve also bought from Motea before brexit and very happy both on delivery and value for money.
Worst thing as now is not knowing how much taxes will be on delivery, it’s a shame Motea don’t do as Louis do and sort the import taxes ect at point of sale, I got a Koso odometer last year and it states no more to pay on delivery, I still rang them to confirm before I touched the pay now 😂.
Out of interest did you purchase before brexit or after, if so can you remember any figures by any chance as Motea have the box I want and MPW are out of stock.
Cheers.

If you reckon on an additional amount of about 28% of the total cost including any delivery charges, you won’t be far out and it might come in a little under 28% depending on which delivery company is used when it arrives in the UK due to differences in the administration charge that each company levies.

I believe that Motea just follows the HMRC rules.

If the shipment is under the HMRC duty threshold of £135, then Motea charge UK VAT and remit it to the UK.

Over £135, they leave it to UK customs to charge duty and VAT, then the shipping company adds a handling charge.

That duty threshold is why companies like W&W Cycles, for example, have a minimum order of £135 for UK buyers - they can't be bothered with registering for UK VAT.

I'm quite impressed if Louis Moto are able to deal with duty, VAT, and handling charge at time of purchase.
It was strange as Louis were the cheapest by about £80 but had to wait until new stock arrived and they kept me updated on this, it was shipped 24hr then.
I belive anything safety related escapes Uk duty ect and maybe the odometer was classed as this but Louis obviously delt with it as there was nothing to pay, they did say to me if there was a levy applied to contact them and they would deal with it.

If you reckon on an additional amount of about 28% of the total cost including any delivery charges, you won’t be far out and it might come in a little under 28% depending on which delivery company is used when it arrives in the UK due to differences in the administration charge that each company levies.
I think your 28% is a good guide and just noticed Motea actually advise on 25%.
Still comes in at a reasonable cost compared with HD, I’m just awaiting on MPW to advise on new stock before I jump.
Cheers.

Just bought one of these from Motea.
It's a direct copy of thesaddleman version, quality is excellent and I only paid £115 for it delivered.

At least W&W will sell to you at EX Vat prices as long as you register with them.

You then of course pay VAT on receipt, you often end up paying twice with quite a few other foreign retailers.

Bought a full size replica one on EBay. It came with QR mount, rack on top, pillion rest with the arms and a liner. Made sure it was not a pre-drilled one for speakers etc. quality is very good, but I did buy and fit the OEM steel strengthening plate as seen a few reports of them sagging and breaking due to weight added without the plate fitted.
It’s going on the bike for the first time this season so will see how it bears up.

Cheers.
I purchased the tour pak last year, fitted to a Road King Special which I then sold so all paperwork went with the bike, but I'm sure I paid the cost of the box plus 20%.

Back