MT350 What are they like to live with if used and abused?

Mark Hammond

Committee
MT350 - For those who own one (or have owned one) what are they like to live with as a winter hack?

I?m thinking about buying an MT350 (or 500) to use as a winter ride. It will need to live outside as space in the workshop is at a premium at the moment and I really don?t want to have to wash or clean it on a regular basis, so was going to give a liberal coating of ACF50 to protect it. Will it stand up to being left outside and still be reliable?

Not bothered about it not being particularly quick as it will probably only be used for relatively local journeys and is being bought simply as a way of staying on two wheels over winter without the need to wash and clean the ride regularly during winter.

Any real world experience of using an MT over winter as a ?hack? gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,

I had one for 6yrs, but it never left my garage until I sold it on :glee:

Two R19 members, Steve Spake and Jim Tarrant owned one too for a while and I believe both commuted in all weathers on them, so perhaps get in touch through the members section of this Forum and ask directly.....unless they post up here.

David Scott, also a R19 member, had both MT350 and 500's so would also be a good source of info if you know him.

A great source of info can be found via the MT Riders Club - https://www.mtridersclub.co.uk/

Hope this is of some help.

As Daz said, I had a 350 for a number of years for commuting to work. Excellent bike for the job, I literally never cleaned it except for the chain and it performed in every weather condition. I used to catch the 7am ferry across to the Isle of Wight ever day and it let me down just the once. Tried to start it for the homeward trip after a torrential downpour on the way in but it was a no go. I found the issue fairly easy, a water logged HT cap, dried out and away we went. After that contract finished I used it along the M27 for a few years and it coupled with the 12 miles of motorway no problem.
A couple of issues I found on them. The wire harness is getting a little old now so be careful with it, don't mess about fiddling and bending it especially around the head stock. If you have an electrical issue (light malfunction, horn not working etc.) check the head stock area first for a cable break. The switch gear was reliable, don't forget (like I did) it has a 'Black Out' switch that shuts down ALL the lighting. The starter spragg clutch can be trouble-sum, the best fix is to replace it as they're not repairable. At the time I had it (about 5 years ago) the spare parts were readily available and reasonable price. If you're a spanner man they are simple and easy to work on. Like any older machines, maintenance is key, having said that I did very little between the annual service. The 350 is both electric and kick start, I believe the 500 was only kick start. Hope that helps :encouragement:

Back