Nagging Doubt

vincent

I have just replaced the old 21" skinny wheel on my Softail Standard with a nice fat 16" from a Heritage. Before I fitted it I took some advice and was assured that both wheels are the same hub width (bearing to bearing)and the wheel spacers are the same,the only difference being the front fender no longer fits.
But,I have this nagging doubt that something is not right and I can't quite put my finger on it :(
So, could someone please set my mind at rest or tell me that I have cocked up somewhere before I go out and injure myself :eek:
This is pretty important as I am doing the RFL tomorrow.....Help :eek:

Re: Nagging Doubt

I know from experience on older wheels that there were different types of spacers with different styles of wheel/hub.

First, jack up bike to lift front wheel off ground. Grab tyre at 3pm and 9pm and push/pull. Is there much movement? There shouldn't be. And really, you need to check that freeplay before you put the wheel on - see ''A-Z of wheel bearings'' way down in the Tech Tips folder.

kiwidave said:
I know from experience on older wheels that there were different types of spacers with different styles of wheel/hub.

First, jack up bike to lift front wheel off ground. Grab tyre at 3pm and 9pm and push/pull. Is there much movement? There shouldn't be. And really, you need to check that freeplay before you put the wheel on - see ''A-Z of wheel bearings'' way down in the Tech Tips folder.

Thanks Dave,tried your suggestion,no discernable movement and the wheel runs true and free, but, after spending an hour or more looking at the front end the possible problem was staring me in the face :eek:
The wheel looks pretty central in relation to the frame but the lugs on the forks(front fender bolts to these)are offset and they are making the wheel appear offset also.If I have got the spacing wrong,I need to space it more towards the offside of the bike in which case I would need to space out the brake caliper also.Hope this makes sense.
Any more advice please

Is the "new" wheel a front or rear hertitage wheel?

The wire wheeled hubs are different front and back and whilst it's not impossible to fit a rear in the front it does need different spacing etc.

The front wheel spacers on FLSTC and FXSTC models are the same part numbers so if it is a front wheel it should fit without any problem.

If in any doubt fit your old wheel and sort it out at leisure - not in a rush.

girlyglide said:
Is the "new" wheel a front or rear hertitage wheel?

The wire wheeled hubs are different front and back and whilst it's not impossible to fit a rear in the front it does need different spacing etc.

The front wheel spacers on FLSTC and FXSTC models are the same part numbers so if it is a front wheel it should fit without any problem.

If in any doubt fit your old wheel and sort it out at leisure - not in a rush.
Thanks for the reply,It's a front wheel so am I worrying unnecessarily?

Hi again

Without seeing it I can't offer any more advice other than trying the wheel spacers in different positions, swap left for right, right for left. There are no other part differences that I am aware of between the front wheels of a FLST and a FXST.

The disc should not need spacing to fit the caliper. Try mounting the wheel without the spacers and mount the caliper to the disc and forks, measure the spacing and compare with the spacers you have.

Back