Need quieter exhaust

Invasion1973

this probably doesn’t get asked that much. But I need a quieter exhaust for my fxstc. Unfortunately I have managed to perforate both my ear drums. Seems it might be from my khrome werks slip ons. I have found them harsh sounding from the start when I got the bike.
it Seems it is the frequency that perforates my ear drum. apparently we all have different frequencies we are susceptible to that can cause this ☹️
so looking for something that will still have a nice sound but less harsh. more bass or Tom Tom drum, than the-harshness, of snare drum; if that makes sense what do you recommend ?

Ear plugs, save you a fortune, but you probably tried that already. Perforated ear drums sounds painful pal. Hope you find what your looking for. Can your existing pipes be tamed with baffle improvement somehow?

Ear plugs, save you a fortune, but you probably tried that already. Perforated ear drums sounds painful pal. Hope you find what you’re looking for. Can your existing pipes be tamed with baffle improvement somehow?
Thank you 👍🏻 funny thing is they don’t hurt so bad, but had a loud ringing in my head for two weeks ☹️ and could hardly hear at all. take our lugs for granted something we should all consider..always think it won’t happen to us.

I think they have a baffle in. They have been on the bike I think, since 2007 previous owner.

IMG_7417.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sure those more qualified than I will jump in with suggestions over the weekend.

That is how my Khrome Werks look but I then fitted the sound reduction kit that is just a couple of big washers and a long bolt that closes off the perforated bit at both ends.

If just slip-ons then go back to stock.

To be fair ear plugs would be a must in your situation, even wind noise will fu#k your hearing up big time. Some people are lucky some not when it comes to ear damage and ear sensitivity.

To be fair ear plugs would be a must in your situation, even wind noise will fu#k your hearing up big time. Some people are lucky some not when it comes to ear damage and ear sensitivity.
I do wear earplugs most of the time occasionally have forgot though.
Definitely some people done ever get issues….I SAID SOME PEOPLE DONT EVER GET ISSUES 👂😂
Funny when I was younger I don’t remember wind noise didn't even notice it.
My little KMX 125 was bloody quick as well 💨

I had home made baffles in stock pipes on my old dyna Fat Bob. I had to re-wrap them every couple of years / 12-15000 miles when they got overly noisy due to the wadding disintegrating. Might be a cheap fix for you?

Thank you 👍🏻 funny thing is they don’t hurt so bad, but had a loud ringing in my head for two weeks ☹️ and could hardly hear at all. take our lugs for granted something we should all consider..always think it won’t happen to us.

I think they have a baffle in. They have been on the bike I think, since 2007 previous owner.

View attachment 1196413

You could probably quieten those pipes down by simply tack welding a repair washer over the end of the existing baffle, leaving the round centre hole open. Then you can adjust the amount of noise they make by drilling small holes in the outer area of the repair washer until you get the volume level you are comfortable with.

The repair washer would only need to be large enough to cover the outer perforated part of the baffle.

I had home made baffles in stock pipes on my old dyna Fat Bob. I had to re-wrap them every couple of years / 12-15000 miles when they got overly noisy due to the wadding disintegrating. Might be a cheap fix for you?
Thank you 👍🏻I’ll give it some thought.

Reactions: ss2
You could probably quieten those pipes down by simply tack welding a repair washer over the end of the existing baffle, leaving the round centre hole open. Then you can adjust the amount of noise they make by drilling small holes in the outer area of the repair washer until you get the volume level you are comfortable with.

The repair washer would only need to be large enough to cover the outer perforated part of the baffle.
Thank you. definitely Worth thinking about . 👍🏻

You could try a set of these, installed behind your existing baffles. Depending on how you turn them also alters the sound. I‘ve used them in the past & have one waiting to go into the straight through 2-1 that I’m going to be using when I start the build on mine.
https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thunder-torque-inserts-c57-335.htm
Hope it helps, obviously there are cheaper options, or you can just knock a set up yourself, but I have found that there’s something about the shape of these that really makes them effective.

Back