New(ish) oil pump

VTwin Rob

Club Member
Hi
I've been given an oil pump that was removed from a low mileage 2022 117 (he had the SE pump fitted).
I'd like to fit this to my 2018 107 as it is a much better pump due to HD redesigning it.

What do I need to consider? I was thinking new O rings, what about the crank and cam bolts - can I reuse mine? I ask as the HD dealer fitted new ones to my friends bike when they fitted to SE pump, is this necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Can’t speak for reusing the bolts, but you might as well fit a cam, cam bearings and new followers while you are in the cam chest. The cam etc has all got to come out to fit the oil pump.

Pictures from when I had the oil pump etc changed in my 107 can be found in this thread

the cam etc has already been done by a previous owner but they didn't do the pump for some reason.

For what they cost, use new bolts.. It is recommend you do not reuse them.

The new ones will have the correct Loctite on them you also then do not need to worry about the stretching or stress on the old ones or having to clean all the old Loctite off which is a must if you re-used them!

CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET RETENTION KIT, with 6294, Part no. 25566-06 around £9.00
1680537874788.png

the cam etc has already been done by a previous owner but they didn't do the pump for some reason.
Probably because the Oil Pump with a seal did not exist until very late 2019, but as a spare more like 2020 onwards. All the previous versions did not make a drastic improvement, the seal was the game changer!

Hard to believe in 2023 that guys are still needing to make upgrades to the oil pump on bikes that cost upwards of £15K!
I remember my first 79 Sportster holed a piston and I was washing aluminium swarth out the oil tank days later all because the MoCo couldn’t be bothered to fit an oil filter on this model, 40 years on and their still penny pinching

Back