New laptop.....any suggestions

Mr B

The time has come for me to retire my old Toshiba and get a new one. It's too slow...it can't handle doing more than one thing at a time. I need a fast modern one. I run Norton 360 in the background and my present laptop just stalls sometimes. It's also running Windows 7 Home premium when it was designed for XP.

When Norton is doing it's thing in the background, I can't usually do anything until it's finished....however long that may be. I need one that handles the tasks with ease.

Are all laptops just assembled using everyone elses parts....so they are all basically all the same, or are some makes better than others.

I need it for speed on the internet mainly, and with a biggish screen, and reliability of course.....so any reccomendations.....about 300--400 quid.

Anyone got one like what I'm after and happy with it.

Cheers Brian.

Re: New laptop.....any suggestions

Since moving from windows to Apple I always recommend saving up and getting a MacBook or iMac.

I used to go through a laptop each year, it would just slow down so much within the first six months. Now my first iMac bought in 09 is still working fined but I upgraded in 12 to a larger one, again working like a trooper and I give it heavy use with large programs running in succession five days a week.

Don't forget Apple sell refurbished and there's a good second hand market out there.

If you do go for windows steer clear of any 'bargains' which have windows 8 installed. Can't say much for the new windows 10 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Norton 360 in the background
I think I see your problem. Norton is notorious for being a resource-hungry behemoth. Get rid of Norton, install a different security program and see if you notice a difference; you might just save yourself ?400.

I ended up getting myself a new Asus X751LA. I got fed up trying to compare different ones to see which was best...so I just went with this one on the spur of the moment. it's got a 17 inch screen, which is good for an old git like me with deterioreating eyesight, and I've just upgraded to Windows 10. Compared to my old one...it's lightening fast, I'm well pleased.....not that I know anything about laptops. I've just got to try and find my way around this new operating system...if that ever happens. So.....be prepared for some dumb and obvious questions from me in the future.

Brian.

Back