Nice 350RR

Baff

Club Member
[SIZE=+2]Aermacchi 1975 350RR Roadracer[/SIZE]

Aermacchi_1975_HD350RR.jpg

Thought someone might like to see this picture. Maybe give a little info on it?

Re: Nice 350RR

Two stroke twin,air cooled from 69 to around 73,then water cooled.
In water cooled form it gave 70 BHP @ 11,400 RPM.
Walter Villa won the 350 World Championship on one in 1976.
In my opinion,it was the begining of the end for great GP racing as together with Yamaha,they'd finaly got the 350 two strokes competative against the four stroke MV.Circuits were also getting shorter,the IOM TT had been a championship round,and they switched to the shorter Nurburg circuit.:frown:

Last edited:

Old Walt also won three consecutive 250 titles with the smaller version, several times coming off and still ending up winning! Pratts of Greenwich raced one at, I think, the I.O.M. and when HD-UK PR man "Lefty" Kaufman (of Gram Parsons body snatch fame) arrived at the pits with urgent spares they turned out to be promotional hats etc! Edwin "Ted" Pratt used to collect Harley racers (he had Renzo Passolinis XR-750) and I did hear he had an ex-Villa bike - though that may have been the previously mentioned bike instead?

Thats nearly as nice as my TD2 Yammie :D

Gimme the single any day. Fantastic sound.
hda-2-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimme the single any day. Fantastic sound.
hda-2-1.jpg

Agreed! Those bikes always seemed to be so smart and cleanly turned out. I joked they were so reliable their riders had nothing else to do except clean and polish them!

I used to watch them race at East Fortune and Beveridge Park in Kirkcaldy in the 250 and 350 classes - lethal with a track lined with trees and protected only by straw bales.
It must have been the last bastion of the 4-stroke single, and I can still smell that Castrol R...
beveridge+park.JPG

Looks legal enough to me :wink:; daytime MOT and number plate and off you go. A lot of them rode their bikes to the events in those days. I remember spending the night at the side of the river in Glendevon beside a big fire, because one of the guys had a Goldie with no lights, and it was too dark to go home. That was our excuse anyway...

So what was the twin, based on that Aermacchi single?!

So what was the twin, based on that Aermacchi single?!

See #6.

And pay attention at the back there.:439:

I think the last bastion of the 4 stroke single was the MGP in the 80's.
I've been trying to sort out the year,but online results seem thin on the ground.
It was Tom Arter's 65th birthday,and there was a nip and tuck battle in the Senior between an Arter Matchless and a Suzuki twin.
The single pulled out half a second up the mountain,the twin took it back coming down.The start is at intervals,so they couldn't see each other on the road.
I put the watch on them at Signpost on the last lap,but couldn't split them.
The Matchless came second.:frown:
If I'd been on the Suzuki,it being Tom's birthday,I'd have let it win.
That's why I'm not a racer.:D

Last edited:

See #6.

And pay attention at the back there.:439:

I think the last bastion of the 4 stroke single was the MGP in the 80's.
I've been trying to sort out the year,but online results seem thin on the ground.
It was Tom Arter's 65th birthday,and there was a nip and tuck battle in the Senior between an Arter Matchless and a Suzuki twin.
The single pulled out half a second up the mountain,the twin took it back coming down.The start is at intervals,so they couldn't see each other on the road.
I put the watch on them at Signpost on the last lap,but couldn't split them.
The Matchless came second.:frown:
If I'd been on the Suzuki,it being Tom's birthday,I'd have let it win.
That's why I'm not a racer.:D

The twin here is a stroker, but there was a racing twin based on the 4-stroke single above. :wink:

I was at the TT in 1971 when Pete and John Williams were on Arter Matchlesses racing against Agostini and his team mate (don't recall his name) on MV triples! Pete split the MVs during the race, although only he and Ago finished of the four of them. :60277EB7B04744289C0

I was at the TT in 1971 when Pete and John Williams were on Arter Matchlesses racing against Agostini and his team mate (don't recall his name) on MV triples! Pete split the MVs during the race, although only he and Ago finished of the four of them. :60277EB7B04744289C0

So was I,and the things I remember most are the rain,and Ago's chain breaking in the Junior.
One day when they decided there'd be no racing because of the rain,I put my gear on and did 3 laps for the hell of it.
It was lonely out on the road,and very slow.:D

So was I,and the things I remember most are the rain,and Ago's chain breaking in the Junior.
One day when they decided there'd be no racing because of the rain,I put my gear on and did 3 laps for the hell of it.
It was lonely out on the road,and very slow.:D

I think the Senior was held on Saturday in the sun, having been rained off the previous day? We watched from the Creg, just in case the weather changed its mind, as we had done our time up on the mountain in the rain!

I still can't think of the name of that 'Aermacchi' twin.....

I still can't think of the name of that 'Aermacchi' twin.....

Here you go - Linto! Basically components from a 250 Aermacchi built into a 500cc racing twin. There are several websites with details of them.

Back