Nice FX

Re: Nice FX

I'd buy that beaut in a second! Don't think it'll last long at that price (lookin for a quick sale perhaps, it being 'th'season' and all).
My personal pref. has always been for that lovely grey finish on the rocker boxes and would swap my chrome ones for them in a second.
I would not change a thing; forsooth, this buggy is fertile ground towards a concours resto I think.

Rivets:
something a leedle off? about it............ maybe....maybe not.
It's the battery support bracket that draws my (discerning?lol) gaze. There seems to be, if it's not a trick of lighting as I'm pretty sure those photos were not flash-assist, an extra little bend in it near the top, hard by the starter stud. That, combined with the stacking washers on the back hole is something I've seen the likes of before. I backstopped myself here by downloading the 3rd and 8th pic, then hi-mag shows it to be just so.
I'm open that the factory may have bent it theyselves just to shoehorn the grinder in there but it seems unlikely to me..... could be wrong.

Note that the bracket is not chromed. Interesting thing, that little bracket. It's a doubling inside joke amongst the k/o legion that the parts catalog shows the installation drawing backwards, which leads all the aftermarket chromers to put the high shine to the inside. The tangle comes when you try to counterpose what the picture offers regarding attaching nut size/thread if you've a mind to changing brackets to a bigger battery which will surely happen when that little 12N7 gets sucked dry every 3 days (only a mild exaggeration in the summer months).
For the kick-only crowd, finding one of these unchromed brackets as an o.e.m. in the org. wrapper, staple intact, is something electric, akin to sitting on a tack, or a religious experience, but fun instead, with little or no guilt.

I read that MoCo, having closely read their sales numbers in the early 70's, found that the FXE was outselling the 'kick-only' FX by 2-to-1 [sic]; So, in 73? or 74? dropped the k/o version and simply added a starter in one of those years....... could someone verify this or chalk it off?
To be clear, the parts book list bracket, battery carrier and battery 71-78 and notes the battery as '(kick start)'; the carrier is not noted as kick start but the other carriers are noted as '(electric start)'. Duced!

The offer doesn't state if they are the original owner; something, I think, that would have not been left out were it to be so. To my inquiring mind then (referencing my question immediately above) another! question prompts itself, ...was the electric starter possibly an add-on by a former owner?....

All in all it looks to be a nice offering.
As for price, I recall a thread where a Member wondered, a'type-ing, what he might ask for his 1980 FXWG in rather near mint and I remarked 10K at the minimum; against this FX offer (in now pounds) I would say 11K+

edit:
medulla itch.
ha! it came to me; I see this frame has the rear mst. cyl. brake bracket mount lug in place whereas the FXE frames (some or all?) didn't.
I wonder 2 things then, if ..... if...... how do I put this....... could this feature, or lack of it, help to verify 'things' or other points..........and.............. was this a frame point carried all the way through 71-78 as a difference between FX & FXE frames?

edit #2: o.k., I just dug out a pic of Charlie Browns fine resto red SG and it's got the mst. cyl. lug so now I'm wondering........
hummmmm... could''a sworn I'd seen S/G frames without that lug as org. fitted.

Last edited:

Looking at the wiring in the same area and its looks tidy to me, new perhaps? The bike definitely has that come and ride me appeal and I would love to have a go on it. The new paintwork contrasts a bit with the "patina" of the motor etc, but I take your point about restoration - it's ripe for it. Definitely a keeper for someone.

The FX is really nice, well priced, and the seller's description inspires confidence.

Police bike? That badge on the tanks was never used that size in the 1970s ..... or 1980s. Nice bike also, but I always grind the teeth a little when the seller talks about ''museum quality collectible'' then the tanks give the game away instantly.

Last edited:

That seller puts quite a few bikes up of various makes with descriptions which push the boundaries a bit. Not unusual to see them on there for months at ridiculous money then they'll be "Reserved for Nigel" for a week or so, then gone.

I am not suggesting for a moment by the way that he's doing anything illegal; it is not the dealer's job to verify any history which may come with the bike, the onus is still "Caveat emptor" and those bikes he does offer appear to be of good quality.

What I would say though is that it is people like that who ask ridiculous prices for their stuff on the Bay, without ever I suspect getting them, who encourage others to do likewise and thereby artificially inflate the market which puts good classics out of the reach of ordinary folk.

i would not buy a bike from such a dealer on principle, even if it were a 57 Ironhead and I'd just won the lottery jackpot.

I didn't think they rode Harleys or Kwackers on CHiPS....I thought they rode a trailer..?

from my earlier post:

--------------------------------------------------------000-------------------------------------
edit:

medulla itch.
ha! it came to me; I see this frame has the rear mst. cyl. brake bracket mount lug in place whereas some of the FXE frames some.
I wonder 2 things then, if ..... if...... how do I put this....... could this feature, or lack of it, help to verify 'things' or other points..........and.............. was this a frame point carried all the way through 71-78 as a difference between FX & FXE frames?

edit #2: o.k., I just dug out a pic of Charlie Browns fine resto red SG and it's got the mst. cyl. lug so now I'm wondering........
hummmmm... could''a sworn I'd seen S/G frames without that lug as org. fitted.

--------------------------------------------------------000--------------------------------------

And so I have. These two links show what I'm going on about concerning the right-side, forward lug off the motor mount. Knew I'd seen FX's without that lug somewhere; But it seems inconsistently applied over the span of FX production?????
Think this Rebel edition is worth the asking?
(try not to laugh)
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1977-Harley-Davidson-SHOVELHEAD-5005560516

( this link might get blocked as a pop-up) price is $30,000 u.s. You can go to Cycle Trader.com and click the H-D listing on the right side; scroll down a bit to see the bike. I saved a coulp'a nice pics for reference.

and this one on utube shows no lug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazo2fXFaQQ

Last edited:
Back