Nice old pic

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
This old photo is too blurred to submit to the 'Quin so I thought it might be welcome here? It shows, left to right, Bobby Turriff, founder Vic Richardson and Fred Warr clearly after some off road event. All three (along with Pete Gray) were great trial enthusiasts though here it looks as if Bobby hasn't competed and is likely on the outfit. Clearly winter (tree) and they all seem to have a soft drink bottle and a satisfied smile.

scan0008 (2).jpg

Re: Nice old pic

That looks to be an Indian front fender fitted to the bike on the left??

It just might be Skip but back then there were a lot of homemade MUDGUARDS as most Forty-fives were, of course, ex-army with the high clearance military version. Here is another old club bike from the mid-sixties with homemade mudguard, homemade seat and homemade panniers! (the bike itself is hard to date as it first seems a springer pan but has many contradictions).

scan0008 (2).jpg

It just might be Skip but back then there were a lot of homemade MUDGUARDS as most Forty-fives were, of course, ex-army with the high clearance military version. Here is another old club bike from the mid-sixties with homemade mudguard, homemade seat and homemade panniers! (the bike itself is hard to date as it first seems a springer pan but has many contradictions).

View attachment 31017

Note also the windsreeen wiper! And the wheel trim, possibly adapted from car hub caps.

...and the strange spring on top of the footboard and whatever that canister is under it! Also the '55 tank badge and the FLH oil tank decal, contradicting a '48 Pan...and the possible QD axle shaft? it is a weird and interesting machine.

(by the way Skip, I've found a handful of "Indian-esque" mudguards in other old pix, most look like side skirts have been added to WLA mudguards and I am sure I remember our oldest HD dealer - Fred Warr - saying he had skirts made up back in the day. I assumed he meant in the factory civilian profile but maybe he meant these..?)

Last edited:

QD axle shaft would be a hint (to me at least) that it's got a WLC front end; which would be a damn sight easier and cheaper to come by in the UK in those days, than a replacement Hydra one if it had been crashed.

Never occurred to me that a Forty-five front end would be put on a Big Twin though as we are told XA forks were put on the early custom bikes because they were longer I 'spose I should have considered it. If so then this bike could make more sense as a Hydra with WL forks..? (Look Willie G, we made a Springer Softail long before you did!)

That (windscreen) wiper is a riot!!!:cool::cool:
My bets are on the floorboard thingee being foot-pump for an air horn with res. underneath.

Ah, ya gotta love the make-do-and-mend days, when the home handyman had a Black & Decker drill with all the accessories & could make dovetail joints by hand. I think sometimes that I wish those days were back once more. I'm sure that's why I make planes out of balsa wood instead of sitting in front of a games console.

The bottle could be a windshield washer to go with windshield wiper, unless its the old vacum wiper units and its the operating mech for it

Oh yes that could work - the spring could be the foot pump..? you may have hit upon it, if he went to the trouble of fitting a wiper then a squirter would be logical.

Back