No oil in the tank

BlueMoon

I bought a used project bike,It's not been running since it was recently imported due to an electrical problem I've yet to look into.

Checking the fluids I find there's almost nothing in the oil tank,but I've read that the oil can end up in the crankcases if left standing a long time.Do I just take out the plugs and turn it over a bit to see if some oil appears in the tank before I fill it up?

If it has been imported and not run and there is absolutely no or very little oil in the tank, consider the possibility that it has been drained for shipping as sometimes items are specified to be shipped dry!
Couple of options, you could take the filter off and see if that's full of oil to see if it's been drained. Check the gear box/primary for oil see if they have been drained.
Consider taking the plugs out,if it is on a stand, put it in top gear and turn it over by turning the rear wheel by hand to see if any oil appears, if the sump is full of oil, i.e. the whole contents of the tank, it will be very hard to turn!
Don't just keep cranking it over on the starter looking for oil, as if there is none there as it will not do it any good!

Thanks for the advice,I was considering the possibility that it had been drained of fluids.

The Sportster's oil filter will have plenty of oil in it after draining the tank during a normal service. I don't know if it self drains whilst the bike is left standing.

It is to me the biggest flaw of the engine that it has no sump plug.

After the tank has been drained there is still 0.7 litres of oil in there somewhere that doesn't drain out under normal circumstances.

What to do? I am not sure. Turn it over by hand with the plugs out as suggested first just to feel what it is like. Maybe crank it for just a couple of seconds with the plugs out. Possibly put 1 litre in the tank first and if the oil level rises alarmingly stop and suck out what is not needed.

After the tank has been drained there is still 0.7 litres of oil in there somewhere that doesn't drain out under normal circumstance
Hi Andy, where do you get the 0.7 figure from as it seems a lot to be hiding away somewhere, nearly a pint and a quarter in old money.

In the Ironhead Sportster the books claim only a few ounces are left in the engine ( sumping excluded of course). If by a few they meant as much as 4 ounces it would still only be 0.1136 of a litre.

Even though the Ironhead and the Evo are different their not that different.

BlueMoon, I'd go the plugs out, turning by hand method with lots of rag, paper or trays spread around. It would also give you a chance to put a little oil down the bores in case it's been dry a while.

We are in the evo sportster section so assuming an evo engine. I admit I don't know the year of the bike in question.

A 2008 bike when dry takes 3.5 US quarts. The oil tank has a 2.8 US quart capacity. When you do a service you can only drain the tank so there is 0.7 US quarts somewhere.

Acording to the site that supplies the Scavenger system there is as much as 24-32oz (0.72-0.96 US Quarts) left in the system when you drain all your oil out.

Acording to the site that supplies the Scavenger system there is as much as 24-32oz (0.72-0.96 US Quarts) left in the system when you drain all your oil out.
Have you got one Graham and if you have, is it any good?

To get all the old oil out of a solid mount Evo Sportster, there is a workround; but it's messy and my jury is out on whether it is really necessary.

First, put the bike on a stand so that the rear wheel is clear of the floor or bench. Obviously you need to have somebody hold it upright or better still lash it to the workbench. Then drain your oil as you normally would, and remove the old filter. Whilst it's draining, remove the spark plugs.

Once all the old oil is out of the tank, put the bung back in and refill it. Do NOT at this point refit the new oil filter. Put the bike in third or fourth gear, and turn the back wheel. This will cause the oil pump to discharge what's left of the old oil into the pan which you have left beneath the oil filter housing. Once you see clean oil coming through, prime and fit the new filter.

If you are tempted to spin the engine by using the starter motor, DON'T! That's when it gets VERY messy!

Run the bike for about half a minute. check oil tank level and replenish as necessary.

Have you got one Graham and if you have, is it any good?
Yes Mac. Only used it once and seemed to remove a fair amount of dirty oil before clean stuff came through. Took ages for guy in US to send it as he was going to have to pay UK taxes due to being below certain amount. Asked him if anyone else in UK had ordered one, contacted him, arranged for both to come to me and I then sent his down to him.

Reactions: M&M
Less mess is unclip the return pipe to the tank, take out the spark plugs, put the return pipe into a clear pot , do your oil change get as usual , fill up and crank the motor till clear oil comes though, reconnect your pipe and fill to correct level, no mess! Saw it on the YouTube works a treat on everything except dynas and tourer’s cos of the tank under the engine

I turned the back wheel to rotate the engine but no oil appeared,I filled it up but now it's dripping on the floor,so it's either been drained or it stood long enough for it to all end up on the floor.
It started up immediately with some petrol in the tank,and the oil returns to the tank ok.

I don't think it should be on the floor? Is it coming from the breather, the oil tank or the crankcase?
Upside, the tank may have been overfilled, downside, you have a problem.
You need to ascertain where that errant oil is coming from.

I turned the back wheel to rotate the engine but no oil appeared,I filled it up but now it's dripping on the floor,so it's either been drained or it stood long enough for it to all end up on the floor.
It started up immediately with some petrol in the tank,and the oil returns to the tank ok.
You have to find where the oil is coming from, Loose Hose, Oil Filter, Crancase, Drian Plug. Or as Oldguy said, did it come out of the Breather? Shouldn't be hard to find.

On the "modern" Sportsters and maybe not so ones the oil drain hose for some reason perishes and splits by the tank. No idea why only that pipe.

Back