North American headlights in UK

J

jsvos

Hello again from BC Canada. Question for you all in the UK regarding our headlight position. Of course we drive on the right hand side of the road and our high beams are just the opposite of yours. Are there any laws regarding this particular problem when we bring our bikes over? Do we have to get them adjusted for the UK? Thanks all!

Re: North American headlights in UK

It's the same for us when we go into Europe they ride on the right like you so you will be ok then.

During the day it's not really a problem as it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic. But if you plan to do much night time riding in the UK then all you need is some black electrical tape on one side of the glass this will stop your beam going into the eyes of oncoming traffic known as a beam bender. Looking at the picture you will get the general idea. If I was you I would experiment on your head light with black tape and see the beam change against a garage wall. This photo I have made up is the side you need for the uk. But as I said the rest of Europe they are the same as you.

View attachment 4458

Here is a quote to UK drivers/riders for us going into Europe:

Unadjusted headlights, when driving on the right will dazzle oncoming motorists which is an offence and can lead to accidents.

Before driving on the Continent always ensure your vehicle is fit for the road by adapting your headlights.. this is a legal requirement in some countries.
LG017_1SP.jpg

JSVO,

Not sure what bike you have but adjusting the headlight direction should not take much more thatn 10-30 munutes, models without nacells are easier than those with, but even so its not a significant job. all you need is a wall of a garage to beam the light on , a couple of spanners & someone to sit on the bike while you make the adjustments.

S:D

Do the Zenon bulbs work on a Harley to stop the dazzle? A lot of cars with them do not seem to need the beam deflectors.

What Baza said about making a beam bender out of black electrical tape will do.

I found some information from 'Moose' on HERE

The basic difference between USA and Euro lights are:-

In the US the DOT lighting regulations mandates a dispersed lighting pattern that puts a percentage of the light output up and to both sides of the road so that overhead or roadside signs, which may not have other lighting or reflective characteristics, are lit for you.

The European standard allows all the light to go on the road - we have a law that any overhead or roadside sign has to have it's own, independent lighting or must be highly reflective. So not only is there more light on the road with your low-beams, the high-beams are more precise as well. There is also a triangle of light on the right side to light up roadside signs. Lamps sold in places where they drive on the left side of the road, like the UK and Japan, have that triangle on the left side.

The effect is that the Euro lights actually put more light on the road for you to drive with, and offend oncoming traffic MUCH LESS because of the sharp cutoff in the lighting pattern. And all of this with the same wattage lamps as in the USA.

Links that can help:-

Lamp beams & types

Daniel Stern Lighting

Just bringing this thread back to light, so to speak. My bike is 5 days away from getting its export plates and heading back to the UK. There is a mass of information on the current lens which appears to throw the light pattern up in 2 triangles away from centre.
Information on the lens is as follows: H4, 12.5, E1, A02, HC/R02, HG02, 14578, 24542, 24526, 50R-00514.
I had a look on part finder and it appears to list only one lens part number 67757-92A
From those that have imported US bikes into the UK, is it possible to adjust the lens so that it passes the UK MOT or does it need to have the black tape applied ? and will black tape satisfy an MOT tester?
This appears to the be the last outstanding job, as my other outstanding job of fitting an MPH speedometer appears to be not required for the UK MOT according to the shipping agents who also will MOT and register the bike at a significant cost.
Any help gladly received. Thanks

If they dip to the wrong side they cannot be adjusted. Its a function of the lens or reflector.

If you buy a copy or real daymaker head light they will cover roads with left hand lane or right hand lane.

Screenshot_20190124-125726~2.jpg

Back