Nuts and bolts

Leadbelly

I have a 2003 XL1200S I have been replacing rusty bolts, axel etc.
The bolts and nuts which hold the bottom of the suspension to the swing arm are the two
items I have not got. I can possibily go to supplier in my area buy bolts and cut them if necessary
but the nuts are half the depth, has anyone found a supplier of these?

Try D Middleton Stainless. They have in the past carried what is called "half nuts". I've not looked for a while but might help.

Half the depth on the nut... Do you mean flange(ed) nuts?
As far as a supplier the choices are vast.
keep in mind the tensile, shear and bending strength of your replacement hardware, be it stainless, Grade(s)3,5,8, etc., or hopeful unknown from your tenyear box. That part of the suspension (if I've read your post right) takes a beating and no second-string bolt will do.

How many Harleys have been put to the side-o-the-road on account of 2nd rate hardware, including wiring ect ?

My favorite go-to for hardware, rod-ends, wiring, clamps, etc. is MIL Spec or aircraft. A little bit more patience to find, and a coup'la dollars more to acquire...... but oh! the long-term rewards when (if) you keep at it (depending on how long you plan to keep the bike. Most of the threads on a/c screws and especially bolts, are rolled, not cut threads; a 5-10X eye loupe will often show the difference.
I rely on a little book called The Aircraft Standards Handbook; a huge mine of old/new Harley-relevant information between two small wire-bound covers. Cheap on t'bay. Speaking of cheap, I just picked up 20-5/16 mil.spec., unf, high-temp silver-plated locknuts (these for rocker boxes); less thana buck each, so just cause it be a/c don't mean it's irrationally expensive
I'm building one and re-building 2 FX's, all at once. As one, they will be drenched in mil.spec. a/c hardware wherever possible; this is so only because I have plans to never sell any of them. Your purposes will vary from mine I reckon.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers Andy from Sandy gave me a link to eBay for the half nuts. I have these ordered.
I got the bolts from Westfield fasteners.

The bolts where 1/2“ UNF 2 3/8 long but Westfield had 2 1/2 long but No proble.

Again thanks for your hel.

Back