Oil cooler guard

Munch

Club Member
Hi all, as per title , has anyone bought an Oil Cooler Guard (FXLRS) or did you buy the material an make one, would prefer to purchase if they are available.

Re: Oil cooler guard

Hi Munch. Noticed Chester Harley are selling a chrome surround that replaces the original plastic one, wouldn't be to hard to mod it with a bit of free flowing stainless mesh. They want about ?100 for it though.
Lots of options from overseas but silly shipping costs.

Hi Munch.
I fitted the H-D accessory chrome oil cooler guard to my M8 Road King (available in black too). Bit of a faff to fit. It provides good protection for the oil cooler from stones kicked up from the front wheel.Nice bit of bling too.
Tony.

Thanks for the answers Boys, I think I'll take a look round the DIY shops be nice to find some honeycomb pattern mesh like the Rad Guard on my Suzuki (made by Evo-Tech)
By adding some additional protection under the Plastic Cooler Cover, I'm hoping not to increase the presence of the original set up.

Best regards Stan.

For Info. I have ordered some R&G Honeycomb Radiator Guard mesh from ebay. ?23 including postage, my intension is to remove the oil cooler plastic outer casing, make a card template and cut the mesh to suit, insert into plastic cover with some rubber strips to avoid any vibration and re install original cover, I want to keep it as subtle as possible without attracting attention to it.

I've had bad experiences with stainless mesh rusting badly before so ordered a cheap engine guard for an M8 Fat Boy off ebay, thinking if it looks ok I'll use it, if not I'll use the grille. I went for the latter as I liked the unobtrusive stock oil cooler cover. Looks pretty convincing and was only ?20 ish.

I've had bad experiences with stainless mesh rusting badly before so ordered a cheap engine guard for an M8 Fat Boy off ebay, thinking if it looks ok I'll use it, if not I'll use the grille. I went for the latter as I liked the unobtrusive stock oil cooler cover. Looks pretty convincing and was only ?20 ish.

Got a link?

A pyramid Fenda Extanda should help? Always used them on whatever bike I've had. Cheap enough and no fuss to fit.

Hi Gez, I purchased the R&G mesh cut it to shape and fit it under the original plastic cover. It will do the job of protecting the oil cooler and isn't noticeable. I've used the fender extender type ones before on my Jap bikes, but I don't think one would suit my FXLRS ?

I've used the fender extender type ones before on my Jap bikes, but I don't think one would suit my FXLRS ?

Gonna buy one of them fender extenders at some point. Like you I'm not keen on the look of them but I'm told they stop the dirty water off the road flinging up onto the tank. Sick of my bike being minging when everyone elses is still gleeming.rolleye

I've a Sport Glide. Fitted an extender which helps to a point, but due to size of fender verse tyre width still flings crud. I'm looking into Bagger Nation where you can buy a adaption kit then different fender which wrap more around the tyre tourer like, but cost is prohibitive at the moment.

Oil cooler wise I purchased a stainless steel mesh £7 which I've then cut to fit under the plastic cover of the standard bike, plus I've got spare it required. It will help but like anything if the debris is big enough it may still do some damage no matter what.

Last edited:
What a bunch of cheap skates, just splash the cash for the right Harley cover, its well made and you wont regret it. ;)

Yes cheap skates, but NOT everyone is flush perhaps as some that can afford the lovely MoCo items, but at least it offers some protection.

Will it work as well as said item above who knows, will it actually who knows. Thought these forum were for ideas for those whom are not so flush.

A recent experience with a MoCo dealer service labour charge of £324 for 2.7 hrs but only took 2.2hrs by the way when asked oh that's a fixed service rate sir. For oils, filter & normal service bits total was £442.33 some have to budget money.

Last edited:
Yes cheap skates, but NOT everyone is flush perhaps as some that can afford the lovely MoCo items, but at least it offers some protection.

Will it work as well as said item above who knows, will it actually who knows. Thought these forum were for ideas for those whom are not so flush.

A recent experience with a MoCo dealer service labour charge of £324 for 2.7 hrs but only took 2.2hrs by the way when asked oh that's a fixed service rate sir. For oils, filter & normal service bits total was £442.33 some have to budget money.
thats a lot of money for a set of plugs oils and filters with a visual pad and bearing check as dredger rightly points out hand cleaner and old baking tray you could do it outside your front door with a few tools and help from this forum and the idiot guide you tube and with the saving you could grab a workshop manual and rearly bond with your bike……. with_glasses

No plugs, just black oil filter, oil, formula +, clutch cover gasket and washer. No doubt if the service had taken 3.0 hrs I would have been charged 3 not 2.7 !!!

Now bike out of warranty I'll be doing interims myself and then odd dealer service for the ECU check if there's an update. Yep looking at workshop manual too.

How much do Dealers charge per hour nowdays? I remember many years ago, maybe 20 or so, I asked what the labour charge was at Thames Valley H-D and was told it was £60 an hour! 😳
Thats when I invested in a Workshop and Parts Manual and started collecting the Tools needed for working on my bike.

Back