Oil cooler guard

Labour charges at Riders HD Bristol

Labour cost 1000 mile service £281.46 plus VAT (total cost including 4 litres 20/60, 2 litres of formula +, oil filter and o rings/gaskets etc £392.50)

Labour cost 5000 mile service £244.44 plus VAT (total cost including 4 litres 20/60, oil filter and o rings/gaskets etc £336.98) I waited for the bike on this occasion and the service took about 2.5 hours

£120 per hour including VAT is probably closer to the rate now being charged by some main dealers

The above is one of the main reasons why, when the Sport Glide was written off, I decided to buy an older Street Glide and go back to owner servicing and repairs.

Labour charges at Riders HD Bristol

Labour cost 1000 mile service £281.46 plus VAT (total cost including 4 litres 20/60, 2 litres of formula +, oil filter and o rings/gaskets etc £392.50)

Labour cost 5000 mile service £244.44 plus VAT (total cost including 4 litres 20/60, oil filter and o rings/gaskets etc £336.98)

£120 per hour including VAT is probably closer to the rate now being charged by some main dealers
Wow! 😳😳😳

Really? I know they have overheads but FFS thats BMW prices! :oops:
Thats why it pays to get a manual and basic tool kit, or it helps if your near a good independent like fuz at alan bexton motorcycles.

Basic servicing on any twin cam is easy.
Plug spanner, oil filter removal tool, belt deflection tool, torque wrench, and a half decent tool box will sort you out.
👍

Running a new Harley and using the main dealer for services to ensure a hassle free warranty claim process is an expensive pastime if the bike is actually ridden more than a handful of miles per year.

Most owners of new Harleys will probably only see the two servicing bills i’ve summarised in the average three year ownership of a new Harley. But if someone does 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year like I do, it would be expensive to keep using the main dealer for those very expensive oil changes.

Gateshead is £92p hour but if you buy the materials from a dealer keep the receipts it helps with warranty work

Now bike out of warranty I'll be doing interims myself and then odd dealer service for the ECU check if there's an update. Yep looking at workshop manual too.
First thing to purchase for me is a factory parts book, and a factory workshop manual. Not cheap items these days, but even so they will save you thousands in the long run. Information is king here.

I only need a workshop for ABS brake flush now, once every two years. Out of warranty and do all the rest myself. Any half-decent indy workshop has the right software to do everything a dealer can do at a fraction of the cost.

First thing to purchase for me is a factory parts book, and a factory workshop manual. Not cheap items these days, but even so they will save you thousands in the long run. Information is king here.
the hardest part is actually sourcing those books! Down here in Australia, dealers do not keep them. ''No demand, mate...'' *laugh*

I only need a workshop for ABS brake flush now, once every two years. Out of warranty and do all the rest myself. Any half-decent indy workshop has the right software to do everything a dealer can do at a fraction of the cost.
Fuz sorted this for mine.
1/3 the cost of the dealership.

Lind Guildford charge £100 per hour plus vat at the moment so £120 or £2 a minute. BUT what's annoyed me more now is not being charged for the actual time but a fixed time. I bet if for some reason it took over the 2.7 hours say 3.0 I would have been charged.
So yes all the basic stuff I will be doing myself with HD filters/gaskets. Oil wise many will say stick to HD stuff but may try a 20/50 v-twin specific.

Back