Oil filter!

ElGordo

Club Member
Bought a filter from the stealership , put it on my ‘98 RK and the fit wasn’t great, it’s a shade narrower than the hiflo that it replaced. There’s chat on other forums that Harley have changed the filters an there shit! And that you could damage your motor! There listing the filter to fit evo&tc but the motor’s run on different pressures, what’s going on? Or did the idiot in the dealership give me the wrong filter?

What part number of the filter did you get? The parts catalogue shows it as 63796-77A

In 1999 the oil filter part number is 63798-99A

Last edited:
Chucked the box away! .buddy of mine saying on the yank forums Harley have changed the part numbers an there listing them to fit evo and twin cam, but there not compatible, it’s as though the filter is slightly narrower,and a ring of machined engine case visible?

You can see here that the filter was used from 1991 to 1998 and then the part number changed as I indicated. You can also see the oil filter is used on Sportsters to this day. It doesn't look like the part number changed at all to me.

you cant fit a twin cam filter to an evo it filters down too many microns and acts as a restriction it leads to low oil pressure in evo cranks lifters and top end thats why the Mo co designed it to give a telltale ring if wrong filter used younger parts guys wont remember this when they give you one as they dont do a lot of evo stuff get it off pdq…..

K + n do an evo one part kn170 with either a c for chrome or b for black The kn 171 is for twin cams and they are good filters complete with welded nut on end for easy removal :encouragement:

Thanks guys … yep I’m positive now that the gimp parts guy at Cheltenham he gave me the wrong one luckily I haven’t ridden it! . Ordered the right one off the web ….. ohh that could’ve been bad!!! Thanks again!

K&N - quality, easy to fit and more importantly remove!
Another example of the MoCo cutting costs and looking for the cheapest solution to maintain an expensive motorcycle. Now on this occasion it appears the filter was incorrectly supplied, but there are a lot of media discussions relating to inferior manufacturing in particular effecting the newer M8 engine.

The OEM filter looks piss poor. I'll have to go and cut up the S&S version that's in the bin after last weeks oil change.

Have watched a few Vids. on YouTube about Oil Filters. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to which is the best but a lot of people seem to think that the H-D Filter is poor!
The vid. El Hombre has posted says that Fram are a quality filter but some opinions I have seen say that is not the case.
All makes of Filter will probably do the job they are made to do, however, which is the Best is probably down to individual opinion and a persons prefernce for a brand.
Nothing is straightforward! 😤

It’s all about filtration rate without restriction a bit of a balancing act some are worse than others and down to bike and type of oil pump hence never a tc filter on an evo as a tc filter goes down to 5 microns and is too restrictive flow wise for the evo pump and oil system with_glasses

That’s what I’ve ordered roach, it’s all my fault really, having ‘binned’ the dealership a few years ago cos of piss poor service etc vowing never to go again I found myself visiting friends in Cheltenham and went in….. I’m now going to take a good look at myself in the mirror and repeat my vow never to enter the stealership again!!

That’s what I’ve ordered roach, it’s all my fault really, having ‘binned’ the dealership a few years ago cos of piss poor service etc vowing never to go again I found myself visiting friends in Cheltenham and went in….. I’m now going to take a good look at myself in the mirror and repeat my vow never to enter the stealership again!!
Don't get found talking to yourself or the Men in White Coats might be making a visit! laughing_roll:highly_amused::v_funny:

Bought a filter from the stealership , put it on my ‘98 RK and the fit wasn’t great, it’s a shade narrower than the hiflo that it replaced. There’s chat on other forums that Harley have changed the filters an there shit! And that you could damage your motor! There listing the filter to fit evo&tc but the motor’s run on different pressures, what’s going on? Or did the idiot in the dealership give me the wrong filter?
The dealershite will have a record of what filter they sold you, go back there with the filter and place it on the counter, if it is the wrong one then get a refund and also ask for FREE oil to put in the bike seeing as you have now lost it. :D

Hiflo filter just arrived in post ! Checked parn no fitment, thanks Andy from sandy, it’s the right one! As for going back to the shop I just can’t be ass’d . I’m just gonna boycott it and tell everyone who will listen about the oil filter saga

Back