Oversize front brake rotor, discuss?

howo

Club Member
Just wondering everyone’s thought on these. Would love a set on my 1200R but ££££ not cheap! But cheaper then new callipers I guess, not much change outta £600 for my twin disk front end.
Do you think they improve braking at all? Enough to justify the expense?
Your thoughts?

Over sizes scroll down on link new calliper brackets at the top

Last edited:
There probably won't be a vast improvement over the standard brakes. 2000 on Sportsters have decent brakes in any case, especially the twin disc models. I've used Billet and other brakes in the past on my previous 94 XL but didn't notice any real improvement other than looks.

The Limiting factor Can be rotor caliper clearance when going large on discs i think Harrison do a complete set up but not cheap there was a company doing full floaters as a pair with ebc discs for around £230 and with a pair of mini 6 pot calipers may be far more effective but its still a dear outing me personally i would buy floaters then get a pair of Nissin or Brembo calipers off flea bay and if my memory serves me right someone in here has drawings for adaptor plates…with_glasses

Haven’t found any callipers that fit my 2005 wire wheels? Sorry don’t know what the type is called with pistons on both sides of the disk. I’m sure there’s some out there somewhere? If anyone has a link? But obviously looking for cheaper options then new calliper's if possible. Maybe callipers is the best option.
Bikes getting fast now with the mods would like to stop her without needing Arnie’s biceps!
Thanks for your reply’s so far not easy sorting this kinda thing out by just reading the advertisements.

Last edited:
Hi Howo.

You could try 2 twin piston HD calipers from say a Road King.
Make sure you get the model and year of the calipers, so you can get the correct
brake pads for them (EBC or other).

You would need the adaptor plate for them, see pic below :

HD Twin Cam to EVO Brake Adaptor.jpg

Haven’t found any callipers that fit my 2005 wire wheels? Sorry don’t know what the type is called with pistons on both sides of the disk. I’m sure there’s some out there somewhere? If anyone has a link? But obviously looking for cheaper options then new callipers if possible. Maybe callipers is the best option.
Bikes getting fast now with the mods would like to stop her without needing Arnie’s biceps!
Thanks for your reply’s so far not easy sorting this kinda thing out by just reading the advertisements.

Opposed piston calipers, as opposed :) to "sliding" or "floating" (or "swinging" if you have an old Honda) calipers.

By the way, assuming the same piston diameter, pads, and discs, a sliding caliper is equal in power to an opposed-piston caliper.

At least it is until the slider seizes ...

Last edited:
Hi Howo,
I don't know what size fork legs you have on your sporty but I have for sale bottom fork legs 41mm with springs,calipers left & right I think for a road king £70 if you are interested,give me a call or pop round,tea is always on the go but no harm in looking at them.cheers

As an alternative, get a twin disc front end off a Jap sports bike and have custom top clamps made. It might be cheaper if you land lucky.

Cheers Andy, yup have read that some RK callipers are a direct fit replacement on sporty’s. I think it’s up to 2009 RK’s brakes that fit? But possibly not on the spoked wheels. As for the front tubes mine are 39’s and I’ve fitted fully adjustable double front fork cartridge’s in mine so wanna keep them. So I’ll pm you about popping in and measure those Rk callipers if that’s cool. Be amazed if they fit! But there’s a chance.
Cheers

As an alternative, get a twin disc front end off a Jap sports bike and have custom top clamps made. It might be cheaper if you land lucky.
Thanks yup. But haven’t the energy to sort that lot out. To, to much work involved.

Hi Howo.

You could try 2 twin piston HD calipers from say a Road King.
Make sure you get the model and year of the calipers, so you can get the correct
brake pads for them (EBC or other).

You would need the adaptor plate for them, see pic below :

View attachment 1188522
Cool. May go this way but as a future project. Need to find out if the callipers fit my spoked wheels. 👍
Many thanks for the adapter plate diagram.

Back