Painting Exhaust End Caps

Hal

Club Member
I have been trying to get two Vance & Hines End Caps re-chromed. It seems they are aluminium and I cannot find anyone who will do it. I am based in Kent.

To purchase two new end caps they want £200.00 each, which seems expensive. The end caps are fine, it's just that the original chrome plating is peeling off. Has anybody tried using chrome paint and if you had any success? Appreciate any thoughts.

Not the cheapest option but Cerakote is a good finish and stands up to heat and weather very well. Many colour options are available including a bright silver finish.

Reactions: Hal
Might be worth speaking to these guys as they are very good with chrome finishes - https://hampshireelectroplating.co.uk/

The other option to consider would be to get the ends polished to a mirror finish, then hard coat them is a tough heatproof lacquer (ie. one that will not yellow under heat), or electroplate them with a clear finish.

I had mine stripped, then I polished them up. With enough elbow grease they come up lovely and shiny, and you'll never have to worry about flaking again. It was quite cheap for stripping, and they never discoloured. Gases are quite cool by the time they exit the business end.

Hal, are they 4" end caps?

I have a few sets of harley touring cvo end caps, if they fit. You can have a set to practice on, if they are any use to you.

Screenshot_20240205_143855_Chrome.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your replies, especially Halal Tim for your kind offer. It seems there is no one local to me, the powder coaters do not offer chrome colour. I think I am going to peel the flaking chrome from the end caps and clean and polish them myself. Give me something to do in retirement. :) Thanks again everyone.

Hal, I do believe Daniel Formosa, at NineWorldCustoms in St Nicholas-at-Wade, does chrome powder coat; he fab-ed and powder coated my sissy bar.

Hal, I do believe Daniel Formosa, at NineWorldCustoms in St Nicholas-at-Wade, does chrome powder coat; he fab-ed and powder coated my sissy bar.
Morning Neil that's great, thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call. :)

Thanks everyone for all your replies, especially Halal Tim for your kind offer. It seems there is no one local to me, the powder coaters do not offer chrome colour. I think I am going to peel the flaking chrome from the end caps and clean and polish them myself. Give me something to do in retirement. :) Thanks again everyone.
Good luck, I did a similar thing with the side casings on my T140 Silver Jubilee. Took forever. :rolleyes: Whoever thought of chrome plating aluminium needs to be sat down and made to take it off with their teeth. All of it! :ROFLMAO:

Back