Photo of Spitfire from last year’s International Rally

michael_dinwiddy

Club Member
There is nothing quite like the sound if a merlin engine, in particular when powering a Spitfire. Amazing to have the experience at our International Rally and Red Arrows close too.

I took a bunch of pics, some with the iconic airplane much closer. This is one of my favourites.. Silhouette with sun emanating from cloud. ⛅

Feel free to add more of that experience below..

IMG_8032.jpeg

So agree - you often see them around Bad Name Mike's farm, I guess they come from Eastliegh airfield and follow the Dudwell valley, I think it is where the flights in a two seater are operated from.

They regularly fly over my house in a loop from Biggin Hill airport. Just love the distinctive sound.
Our house is actually built on Gravesend Airport land which was high profile during WW2 and i walk my dogs on what is left of the perimeter road over the fields. There are still bomb craters in the woods by us.

There's a two seater also flies out of Headcorn airfield to the west of Ashford, often goes across to Dover and round the coast. There's a café and a WW2 museum there as well. Also seen a big radial engined Biplane there which takes people up strapped standing up on the top wing.

Some time back my old pal the founder of Riders Club Italy came over for a long weekend at short notice, his original plans had gone along with a relationship and by good luck it was the weekend of the Eastbourne Airshow (on the beach, free). Even more luckily it was the time when that Canadian Lanc had come over and when the pair slowly flew along the coastline EVERYBODY stood up in respect and admiration. We teamed up with Geoff Bowering and Pete Ray and it made a splendid day out.

Back