Pillions

L

Livia329

Eveeeening!

I've had a couple of mixed answers when I've asked this question before so I thought I'd bring it to the board full of sensible Harley riding folk! :D

im wondering, if I was to carry a pillion would I struggle if they are bigger than me? I'm 5ft 4, 55ish kg and quite a small frame. Majority of the time i think I'd carry girls around my hight/size but occasionally others for short trips, if possible.

A few answers on a different board were yes, don't do it. Whilst my instructor said it'd be no different, once they're sat on and if are a good passenger I would barely feel them.

I've not long passed my test so I haven't even thought about actually getting someone on and trying it out cos I don't think I'm ready yet (and the bike isn't either! Need a pillion seat and passenger pegs).

Cheers!

Re: Pillions

Obviously if you have some big hog on the back (male or female) it makes a bit of difference but what you really need at first is someone who has ridden bikes and/or been a pillion before because a person who has never been on the back of a bike will tend to "sit up" on bends. ie, not lean with you but try stay in a verticle postion as you lean into bends and the more you lean the bike the more they will try keep upright instead of leaning with you. This can lead to some amusing if not near deadly moments as it makes the bike drift wide.:tongue:
But its really just experience. We were all riding two up within no time years ago. Get to it. Just pick someone not to big and heavy to start and go steady on the bends at first.:)

Yep just try it with someone who may have abeen a pillon before as looking in your mirrors when you lean the bike only to see your pillion sat bolt upright and not leaning or I should say not going where the bike goes is a bit dsconcerting:frown:

Slow speed handling also suffers so just be carefull when you come to a stand still.

I'd go with the instructor ,so long as you can plant your feet on the ground their is no problem ,just tell her/him to stop fidgeting !😜

Obviously if you have some big hog on the back (male or female) it makes a bit of difference but what you really need at first is someone who has ridden bikes and/or been a pillion before because a person who has never been on the back of a bike will tend to "sit up" on bends. ie, not lean with you but try stay in a verticle postion as you lean into bends and the more you lean the bike the more they will try keep upright instead of leaning with you. This can lead to some amusing if not near deadly moments as it makes the bike drift wide.:tongue:
But its really just experience. We were all riding two up within no time years ago. Get to it. Just pick someone not to big and heavy to start and go steady on the bends at first.:)

I'd go with the instructor ,so long as you can plant your feet on the ground their is no problem ,just tell her/him to stop fidgeting !😜

GOOD advice from both IMHO, BUT check your insurance, some policies do NOT cover you for passengers, and maybe EVEN more as you are a new rider...Read the small print to make sure you are insured to carry a passenger.:wink:

Now this is a silly example because they are not wearing any helmets!!!! FFS. :mad:

View attachment 18283

Last edited:

As a petite little girlie, your place is on the pillion anyway. OOh, i can see her face turning purple with rage from here.........only joking Liviluci.:D:D:D

As a petite little girlie, your place is on the pillion anyway. OOh, i can see her face turning purple with rage from here.........only joking Liviluci.:D:D:D

BRAVE man Rob!!!!

You know she is into shotguns as well as H-D's?????? :60277EB7B04744289C0

Years ago I carried someone who leant the wrong way on corners and you just cannot get the bike round like that, dangerous.

I have had perhaps a dozen on recently and my good lady is on the back most of the time and I cannot tell they are there unless they start fidgeting at low speed.
Just be prepared for extra weight when stopping. As Harleys are so heavy braking and acceleration is not affected too much.
Take care and good luck.

Wait until you have more experience and are used to the bike and Bazas right check your insurance:)
I took my best mates daughter on the back of my last bike years ago and her father insisted he follow me all day on his bike to check i was proficient enough. She was only 19 at the time and i feel he was right to do that...being responsible for someone else is a huge thing.
I now have a solo seat and wouldnt choose to carry a pillion. Wait until you are at one with your bike x

Last edited:

BRAVE man Rob!!!!

Ya, but i'm sure i'm out of range here. She can always thump me if she has the misfortune to meet me in person. I used to tease a lady mate of mine in a similar manner. I would often say to her "what do you want a bike for? you're just a silly little girlie" She would go incandescent with rage, & associated crowd would all run away & hide. Arter the ensuing banter, i would buy her a pint & kiss & make-up. I was the only person allowed to talk to her like that, 'cos we were good mates.....oh, and the fact that she nearly married me. That was a close escape that was. As an aside, i used to have a firearm's license till Dunblane panicked the government. The only thing i ever shot was a paper target. I might get back into 12 bore when the weather get's better, not shot a clay for about30 years. If me & Liviluci have a duel, i'll bring me longbow. I'm from Nottingham, it's a kinda Robin Hood thing ya know.....:60277EB7B04744289C0

Ya, but i'm sure i'm out of range here. She can always thump me if she has the misfortune to meet me in person. I used to tease a lady mate of mine in a similar manner. I would often say to her "what do you want a bike for? you're just a silly little girlie" She would go incandescent with rage, & associated crowd would all run away & hide. Arter the ensuing banter, i would buy her a pint & kiss & make-up. I was the only person allowed to talk to her like that, 'cos we were good mates.....oh, and the fact that she nearly married me. That was a close escape that was. As an aside, i used to have a firearm's license till Dunblane panicked the government. The only thing i ever shot was a paper target. I might get back into 12 bore when the weather get's better, not shot a clay for about30 years. If me & Liviluci have a duel, i'll bring me longbow. I'm from Nottingham, it's a kinda Robin Hood thing ya know.....:60277EB7B04744289C0

Roadcraft*Discussions on Roadcraft, riding and motorcycle/traffic law.

Very enlightening Rob.....:D

As others have said take your time and try with an experienced pillion the first time. When my wife started as pillion we had simple 'rule' , I asked her to keep her shoulders in line with mine as the bike leans. Now, after a few years of riding, she doesn't bother to hold my waist and looks around me to see ahead on the straight bits but as we approach a corner or come to a stop she always resumes the position. Hope that help :)

Hi Liv, bear in mind there is a difference between experienced pillion and experienced rider. A rider on the back will often try and lean for you, which is most disconcerting if you're on the front seat ! The ideal pillion will just go with the bike and you wont even notice they're there. Always quiz a potential passenger and if neccessary tell them whats required.

In the absence of a grab rail, i believe you can buy summat called a "buddy belt" or summat similarly named. The rider wears the belt, & the passenger grabs on to it. I've been pillion twice now, & it scared me to death (wimp) i hate not being in control, so especially if it's a new pillion rider, take it easy.:60277EB7B04744289C0

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals much appreciated! I have someone small in mind for my first attempts who has been a pillion before and I shall take it from there.

Yeah haha I have seen those belts with the handles for pillions. May suit me cos I'm ticklish around my waist :tongue: don't want to twitch mid bend!!

GOOD advice from both IMHO, BUT check your insurance, some policies do NOT cover you for passengers, and maybe EVEN more as you are a new rider...Read the small print to make sure you are insured to carry a passenger.:wink:

Yeah I'm with Carole Nash and it was no extra to put on pillion cover so I added it. And it damn well shouldn't be at the price I'm paying lol

BRAVE man Rob!!!!

Hahaha cheeky!:60277EB7B04744289C0

I'm 5'2 and used to carry my taller and heavier daughter pillion regularly, as well as all my camping gear.

It is a case of balance, confidence and competence.

Hill starts require more thought due to the extra weight and braking needs more control to keep it smooth.
Tell the pillion to act like a sack of potatoes and go with the flow - don't fight anything you or the bike does.

Also if you feel you are about to drop the bike let them know so they can aim to stabilise it with you. I can recount several times when we both ended up on the deck whilst stationary. :redface:

Can't really add to what's been said except the times when you'll notice the extra weight is coming to a halt and pulling away.
You simply need to keep your wits about you when, for example, you're stopping at a junction wanting to turn left as when pulling up it's more important to stop in a straight line with the bike upright

get a side on picture of a bike with rider. Draw a line from front wheel spindle to back wheel spindle. Now drwa two lines, from the top of the riders head, one to each spindle, thus forming a triangle. You'll prob find that most of the pillion rider will fall inside this triangle. That's good. Anything carried outside of the triangle will have some sort of detrimental effect on the handling, depending on how much weight you're carrying. Not all that practical when loaded up with camping/shopping/bf, but try. Years ago, when i was even dafter than i am now, i strapped the crankhaft from a Mk.2 Zodiac to the back of me Honda 90, with the intentions of getting the journal's measure by a friendly garage. The ride to said garage was "interesting" to say the least, with the front of the bike EXTREMELY light, yet if i could have carried it between me knee's, all would have been fine. Eee lad, them were t' days.......:60277EB7B04744289C0

Can't really add to what's been said except the times when you'll notice the extra weight is coming to a halt and pulling away.
You simply need to keep your wits about you when, for example, you're stopping at a junction wanting to turn left as when pulling up it's more important to stop in a straight line with the bike upright

Hi Livia

I'd agree with the above - the danger zone is below walking speed - above that and the bike will be more stable than solo. The back end will sit lower so you might want to adjust mirrors before you set off. Also whats been said previously about practising with an experienced pillion is spot on.

Don't forget you've got a pillion on the back. It can cause arguments if you pull up, hop off the bike and try to roundhouse kick your unsuspecting pillion under the chin. :smile:

Back