Pressure Switch Sealant

Leadbelly

Can anyone advise me about sealant for the oil pressure switch on my Sportster, but I would image it is the same on any Harley. Replaced the switch and the problem was cured.
At present I have used PTFE tape.
At present there are no leaks but the engine has not had a good run since.
YouTube videos mention a paste and tape. What do you suggest.

PTFE is good. The treads an NPT so it will seal well anyway but a few turns of PTFE wont hurt. Just don't overdo it.

Thanks guys you put my mind at rest. I had locktite but never thought to use it thanks.

Last edited:
PTFE tape is a cleaner option than the various liquid sealants on offer. One and a half turns does the job, any more prevents a NPT thread doing its job - the clue's in the abbreviation, 'T' = tapered. Put too much on and you won't get full engagement along the length of the fitting.

Thanks guys you put my mind at rest. I had locktite but never thought to use it thanks.

Remember all Loctite is not the same and 565 will to some extent also resist vibration and loosening, in service!

LOCTITE® 565 is a white to off-white, 1-part, low strength, high viscosity, anaerobically-cured, methacrylate ester, acrylic thread sealant designed for the locking and sealing of metal pipes and fittings. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.

For the oil pressure switch I would not worry and use PTFE tape as the following does not apply, but consider where you may be using an angled fitting or gauge that you may well want in a certain position, you can't always get that fully tightened to spec and get it in the correct position, overtightening with a tapered thread is not the way to go, this is where the liquid thread sealant applications can be invaluable. (I do know and have applied more PTFE to achieve similar outcome but this is not ideal or always possible and often a trial and error process to say the least to get it right!)

You are correct I didn't have the correct locktite.
I had put the switch on with PTFE tape. However I have only run the bike for about 10 miles. But no leaks. I have learned a good bike from your answers. Thanks.

Back