Progressive fork springs 2008 fxdc?

Geoff

Club Member
Good morning all and thank you for reading.
I wish to improve the action of my forks, under firm braking they pack down,and often bottom out.
Should I go for progressives,or an uprated weight spring?
My bike has 12000 miles behind it, stationary sag with me on it takes up about half the fork stroke, I do like to 'ride' the bike at times, so not just puttering about, and take a passenger on occasion.
Anyone with experience of these 49mm forks, and improving them, please feel welcome to say your bit.

Hi Geoff. I have similar issues with my 2010 FXDF. I will be replacing my fork springs with ARH Progressive fork springs over the winter. As a Ahem, cough cough! 'larger' rider it's a chore I've had to do with a few of my bikes. Me and the Mrs come in at about 25 - 26 stone. I'm going to be replacing bushes and seals at the same time. I think Harley recommend 20W fork oil, But on my other bikes I've found a slightly heavier oil works better, so I'm prepared to experiment a little. I'll also be looking at finding something more forgiving on the rear. Hagon might be the way to go there.

Hi Martz, on my 2008 fxdc the stock oil weight is 15w, I'm going to try 20w, I have ordered some progressive springs and will see how they stand up, also ordered some Burley preload adjusters, bit of a faff making sure the spring will not become bound at full fork compression, but it will give some adjustment.
I have thought about Hagon for the shocks, they are a good company from previous times I used their services.
I previously fitted a 15 inch front brake disc, which has transformed my single disc setup, and perhaps shown the forks deficiencies, hence,in part, wanting to improve fork action.

Talking of fork action. I have the 'luxury'? of twin discs, which on my Fatty gives a much more pronounced dive than the twin disc, USD fork setup on my XR which has just had new seals and 12.5W oil, although the Fat Bob doesn't appear to be bottoming out. .... I could have sworn it was 20W fork oil in the Fatty, but according to the WM it's Type E which is 5W!!! That just just seem way too light to damp out a 300kg bike especially on our roads. More research methinks.

1697136186869.png

Interesting, I may well be mistaken saying my fork oil should be 15w, seems these specs vary from one oil brand to another.
Type e is recommended on my Dyna by Harley.
A bit more research for me too.

Back