R14 Run to Wild South West Rally - 14th to 16th September

Mark Hammond

Committee
Here’s the first announcement from the organisers of the Wild South West Rally that we are planning to visit as a Region 14 organised run down to the Duchy of Cornwall.

My review of last years rally and photos/videos that I took at the event can be found here: https://www.hdrcgb.org/threads/photos-wild-south-west-rally.1189718/

Myself and the reps from R19, R12 and R7 are discussing how to make this a joint regional run so this has all the makings of a mega HDRC GB weekend visit to Cornwall to party with our friends down in Region 30

Whilst it says tickets are currently only available via Paypal, last year we paid on the gate when we arrived on the Thursday afternoon. If you are able to purchase advance early bird tickets it will help massively help the organisers to put on a great event.

From the rally organisers:

The Wild South West Rally 2023!

3 days
11 bands (currently 😃)
Free camping
Space for upto 20 campers (there is a fee to book spot)
Engine tossing championships Male and Female
Custom bike show + Trophies
planned ride out
Banging Raffle!!
And of cause H will be on the mic!

This is a fund raiser for Cornwall Hospice but we also understand there’s a current great British robbery going off (dubbed by the powers that be a cost of living crisis) so we are keeping the weekend fee the same.

£30 full weekend entry.
Includes a ticket and mini poster
£10 per day if you can’t do a full weekend.

Tickets are currently only available online through PayPal.

We have to do these early bird tickets to raise funds to pay deposits on everything that makes sure this rally comes together.
Those that every year buy early bird tickets support the continued development of this rally and allows us to put it on every year.
Without the communities help we wouldnt be able to put on the mega weekend party!!!

For a weekend ticket:
Send £30 to Wildsouthwestrally@gmail.com
Please use friends and family
Please put your address

Alternatively for weekend tickets or individual tickets go to www.themaka.com to pick individual day tickets.

£20 to reserve camper / campervan space

928BA8E9-F2F6-4AE6-B68E-3B1242722423.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like to think a few from R12 South West would be interested in this event and taking part in any mass ride out, especially as the convoy will pass right through our neck of the woods. Assuming that's ok with you Mark & co, I'll flag up to our committee?

I'd like to think a few from R12 South West would be interested in this event and taking part in any mass ride out, especially as the convoy will pass right through our neck of the woods. Assuming that's ok with you Mark & co, I'll flag up to our committee?

I always intended any joint Regional effort for doing this rally to include R12 so definitely ok. I’ve mentioned it to Kevin and I believe he may have mentioned it to Simon, but not had a response from them yet. As I’ve said to Steve and Roger, I’m happy to do the lions share of the organising of routes, liaising with the organisers etc.

Thanks Mark - it is on the agenda for our next meeting.

We will keep in touch and no doubt see you in a field soon!!

I always intended any joint Regional effort for doing this rally to include R12 so definitely ok. I’ve mentioned it to Kevin and I believe he may have mentioned it to Simon, but not had a response from them yet. As I’ve said to Steve and Roger, I’m happy to do the lions share of the organising of routes, liaising with the organisers etc.

Hi Mark, I have had a chat with Simon about this event. I would like to think wr can plan a meet up at Juntion 27 Tiverton at some stage. I will bring this up this Saturday coming as we're having our AGM and get a general idea of who is interested.

Well done Mark, this has the makings of being quite a gathering, you will be like Yul Brynner (Taras Bulba 1962 film clip ride to Dubno comes to mind) as you make your way to Cornwall - BABAROOSKI !

LoL I just found that clip on YouTube. I think we’ll make BABAROOSKI the rallying call for this trip 😂

In case anyone is wondering what this madness is that Rick and I are speaking of…..

Well done Mark for finding the iconic clip, if that does not inspire a feeling of camaraderie nothing will, makes me want to get on my bike and ride! The film is one of my favourites - made with no trick or computerised graphics, it was reliant on real people actually riding - just like our RIDERS club - BABAROOSKI !

booking tickets, have a couple of definite interests from region 21, will be bringing it up at region 9 meet next week for further interest.

booking tickets, have a couple of definite interests from region 21, will be bringing it up at region 9 meet next week for further interest.

Perfect 👍

I see another band has been added to the entertainment, so 12 bands plus all the other stuff for £30

We now have a plan for the HDRC visit to the Wild South West Rally!

@Rivithead
@Rick - BABAROOSKI!
WSWR Plan

Dale Knight R21 rep will liaise with members from Midlands regions and bring those that want to join the group ride ride to the rally down to the first meet point at Bristol on the Thursday. Rest of the plan as follows

First Meet Point 11:00am M5 Gordano Services (WelcomeBreak, M5, Bristol BS20 7XG) Region 7, 9, 13, 14 and 21 members meet at M5 Gordano Services for an 11:00am departure to ride down M5 to second meeting point with Region 12 and remaining Region 14 members.

Second Meet Point 12:30pm M5 junction 27 services (27 M5, Tiverton EX16 7HD): Meet with Region 12 members based in North Devon and Region 14 members based in the south of Region 14. Expected arrival of Region 7, 9, 13, 14 and 21 group at meet point will be 12:00pm. Departure time 12:30pm for continued journey down M5 and into south Devon.

Third meet point 1:30pm A30 Whiddon Down Services (Exeter Rd, Whiddon Down, Okehampton EX20 2QT): Meet up with any R12 members based in south of Region 12 and any Region 19 members joining group ride to rally. Expected arrival time of main group at meet point is 1:15pm. Departure time 1:30pm for ride down A30 into Cornwall.

Regrouping point for ride into rally venue 3:00pm “The Carclaze” pub St Austell Enterprise park, Treverbyn Rd, Carclaze, Saint Austell PL25 4EJ: Final regrouping opportunity to pull the group together for the final ride into the rally site which is approximately 10 minutes away. Expected arrival time at regrouping point is approximately 2:30pm. The pub has far reaching views across St Austell bay, so we can take the opportunity to have a quick drink and allow people to enjoy the views before riding into the rally site. I’ll also take the opportunity to contact the rally organisers to let them know our expected arrival time, so that they can get their drone in the air and film our group arriving at the rally site.

Provided we don’t get any significant delays, the above timings will see us arriving at the rally site for around 3:15pm. That should see us arriving before most of the other Thursday arrivals and allow us to get tents pitched in plenty of time to allow for a supermarket beer run before the Thursday entertainment starts.

Friday 15th September
Breakfast - There are three or four places within a two minute walk where people can get cooked breakfast and avoid paying the more expensive prices that the pub at the rally site will be charging. I’ll show people where these cafes are located.

The rally ride out will be on Friday morning and will be going to a beachside coffee shack at Port Mellon which is on the outskirts of Mevagissey. We can join the rally ride out to Port Mellon and once the main group leaves to ride back to the rally site, I’m happy to lead the HDRC group on a cross country route down to St Mawes where people can enjoy fish and chips, pasty etc sat overlooking the views out to sea and across to St Anthony Head. After lunch I’ll lead the group back across the Roseland Peninsula and back to the rally site in time for the afternoon’s scheduled entertainment. I’ll also make sure that we pass a supermarket in St Austell so that people can take the opportunity to replenish their food and drink supplies before Fridays partying commences.

Saturday 15th September
It will be relatively quiet on the campsite until early afternoon, so after breakfast I’ll lead a ride out to Looe where we can stop for a coffee before making our way back to the rally site via the Bodinnick car ferry which crosses the River Fowey at Fowey and gives a nice view down the river Fowey, the harbour at Fowey and out to sea. If time allows we could also stop for a pint and lunch at a pub before making our way back to the rally site for the afternoon and evening partying.

Sunday 16th September
After breakfast, we can start to make our way home. If the weather is being kind to us, I’ll be happy to lead a group on a route that will take us across the middle of Dartmoor. We can stop for refreshments on Dartmoor before heading off the moor and out onto the A30/M5 for people to continue their journeys home.

Other information
The rally site is located next door to “Cornish Market World” where there are a number of cafes that can be used for breakfast, lunch and tea at prices that will be much cheaper than the eating at the on site pub. There is also a very popular place called Sams Diner which is an American themed diner offering decent burgers, pizza’s etc.

There are a number of supermarkets within a 5 or 10 minute ride of the rally site which can be used for purchasing food and drink to save on costs that would be incurred if buying all drink at the bar that is provided by the pub on the rally site.

IMG_5674.jpeg

For those people that want to support the organisers (who are just two regular guys like you and me, that put this event on using their own cash) advance weekend tickets can be purchased using the following details

For a weekend ticket:
Send £30 using PayPal to Wildsouthwestrally@gmail.com

Please use friends and family and please put your address in the message facility so that the guys know where to send your ticket 😂

Pay on the gate will be available for those who prefer to pay on the day.

Hi Mark, hopefully a couple of us from R18 are coming along as well so will try and meet on A30 at Okehampton for 1:30pm.

Wild South West Rally 14th to 17th September- Ride Out Routes

For those of you coming on the the joint regional run to WSWR I’ve been workimg with the organisers to plan the Friday ride out route. We will be heading to Port Mellon beach for a coffee stop then onward down to St Mawes for lunch and a pint before heading back to rally site for the bands etc. the route will be scenic and hopefully give a flavour of the countryside and coastline of this part of Cornwall. On the way back, we pass the Lost Gardens of Heligan for those that want to visit the gardens instead of going straight back to the rally site. Looks like I’ll be leading the bulk of the Friday ride out, so it will be a ride put for all levels of riding experience and skill levels.

For those that want to do a ride out on the Saturday I’ll probably take the group up to the Island View cafe at Looe and then come back to the rally site via Fowey and the Bodinnick Ferry. Option for people to stop in Fowey for a pint or to go straight back to rally site.

13 bands over 3 days, custom bike show, drag bike burn out displays and three days of partying. Its going to be a mega weekend.

£30 Pay on the gate. More details of arrangements for the ride to the event, plans for the weekend in the original post and subsequent posts on this thread.

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

IMG_5888.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

Back