Re-taxing an MOT-exempt vehicle

kevscrivener

A bit of info for those of you whose bikes or cars qualify for this exemption, available to vehicles manufactured before 1960.

When you re-tax the vehicle on-line, you will be asked the usual questions about ownership, MOT certificate, payment etc.

You must tick "yes" when asked about having a valid MOT certificate in order to proceed, even though you do not need one.

The wording is somewhat unclear on this, I would assume they haven't updated it yet to take into account the recent changes.

By checking the "yes" button I ordered my new disc without problems.

HTH

Update June 2015; see post at bottom of page.

Last edited:
Re: Re-taxing an MOT-exempt vehicle

Hi Kev just had my first renewel for the knuck through but the online portal keeps saying i have no mot ,i checked mot status and it says mot till end of month but then when you read terms it says mot must be current from renewal date and mine has no overlap ,so do i call em up or wait fo it to lapse and see if i get issued a virtual mot to allow me to tax it? Any ideas

i have absolutely no idea mate;I am presuming though that it is registered as "Historic vehicle" in the taxation class? if not you may have to change it. It does state specifically in this document that pre-1960 vehicles don't need an MOT;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/482325/INF34_181115.pdf

So it might well be a glitch on the DVLA software. I'd suggest you phone them, they're usually very helpful once you get past the usual barrage of automation and speak to a human being.

I had a similar problem, everything was due in sept and online taxing was hassle. So I just got my bike MOT'd a month earlier then everything dropped into place.

Thing is Naresh's bike being pre-1960 shouldn't need an MOT anyway. I've never had an issue with the 45; in fact i've just done a check on-line and it comes up as "MOT exempt" so I've absolutely no idea why his doesn't. Might be because it's only recently been registered?

I worked that out just after I posted it, was trying to delete post Doh !

Just had a problem taxing my 54 Beezer for the first time , apparently there is a disclosure form at the post office which you sign to agree that its a pre 60 vehicle ?.
After phone calls to DVLA + hassle at the post office because neither would let me tax it , i then found out this form was the sticking point, why the feck none of them told me about it earlier i have no idea , but DVLA said that the P/Office should be able to overide whatever wasn't letting them tax the bike ?.
The final result was me not leaving Post Office after the second attempt untill i got my Tax , strangely enough she was able to do it after a few seconds of stale mate .
Now its been taxed once it should be ok online next time i was informed , only took me 3 Hrs :>) .

Thanks for that Chilly; was going to ring DVLA next week to check this out but looks like you've saved me the bother.

As you say seems like a breakdown in communication between DVLA and Post Office. Most unusual for a government organisations, ain't it?

I couldn't do my last one online so went the paper route with the MOT exemption certain etc. Got a reply from DVKA saying it didn't need taxing and that was that. So save yourself the trouble and don't apply is my advice!

Just had my first retax ( is that a word?)on a bike i registered last year it was refused online on the grounds of no valid mot ( clearly doesnt need one)however now the previous tax has actually expired it went through fine online with no additional paperwork ,so i guess advice is dont try to tax early ,wait till the old tax has actually expired then it works on the online portal just fine

An update on this; just re-taxed the 45 using the reminder, it would seem that DVLA have now tweaked the website because it simply logged the "tax" as renewed after I put the reference number in. Goes without saying that insurance has to be valid.

An update on this; just re-taxed the 45 using the reminder, it would seem that DVLA have now tweaked the website because it simply logged the "tax" as renewed after I put the reference number in. Goes without saying that insurance has to be valid.

Thanks for the update, nearly ready.............

will this work with pre 78 bikes Scriv ie 40 years and over ?

will this work with pre 78 bikes Scriv ie 40 years and over ?

Scriv probably knows better than me (most people do come to that) but I believe so, as it's meant as 40 years rolling on, so it should now fall into that. Certainly no problem with my 68 Bantam that hadn't been taxed for quite some time!

Don't we have to wait until "they" formally announce it though..?

The system has changed a bit now.

If you have a vehicle which becomes exempt from VED and MOT by virtue of age, when it comes to renewal time you have to fill out form V112, which you can download and print off, fill in and sign; and then take the completed form and your V5 to a post office.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...42/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf

You then hand the forms over, your vehicle will be reclassified as "historic Vehicle" and you get a new V5 stating thus a few days later.

As far as I am aware you cannot do this online, it has to be done at a Post Office which deals with VED.

You should note that the vehicle still needs to be insured in order to "tax" it.

Please note the small print at the bottom of the V112 regarding exemptions from the qualification; these include vehicles on a "Q" plate and some modified vehicles.

Last edited:

AS THEY SAY IF YOU DON'T TRY YOU DON'T GET.Well after reading all your comments on this subject I went and got the certain form from the post office,filled that in but did phone the DVLA who was very helpful and gave them the reg number of my 1978 FLH electra glide and she said yes fill in the form and put in section 7, HISTORIC,sent it off in the blue envelope required by the post office and that was early June because my MOT runs out on the 19 June,then after 6 week wait, all paper work returned back to me,bollocks I thought but when I read another new form was attached panic set in so another phone call to the DVLA,fill in that form for vehicle tax,off it goes again,then a letter sent by the DVLA came yesterday morning (sat),yes, I got my 1978 FLH on the Historic Vehicle list.I would say this took about nearly 8 weeks to do so a result for me.It can be done.well please tool man.Now I wait for your comments please.

Well,the DVLA even sent a tax vehicle rebate to me today,because I thought lets tax the FLH just incase I don't get the Historic thingie,I think a few beers are in order later.

was told that i might need a MOT as its just 40yrs old ,,, is this correct ??
down loaded the V112 form and see the box and that s of the category ,, R

don't need to have the bike on the road at this moment but thought it should be sorted now just in case there is a problem

the bike was registered in the states from 1.1. 1980

john

Hi John.

I thought you need to have the Historic classification before being MOT and Tax exempt.. and being able to use the black and silver number plate.

It was a bit of hassle getting it, in my case, but probably worthwhile. I have also been advised to get MOTs to strengthen the argument that the bike is roadworthy, in case an argument with insurers is necessary at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back