Re-taxing an MOT-exempt vehicle

Insurance hasn't been checked for VED applications since "continuous insurance enforcement" was introduced. However, doesn't that mean that their actions caused you to break the law by owning an uninsured vehicle that wasn't "SORNed"?

ive no idea i just wanted to regester the bike and too apply for historic status

As for garages doing an MoT, majority would not want the hassle of inspecting the really old vintage stuff.

Back when I had my old GMC pick-up truck, I got "free tax" but still had to test it. Had this conversation with my regular MOT man and his opinion was that he actually looked forward to doing older motors because they gave him a challenge, being out of the ordinary; much of the MOT test today is plug 'n' play.

I was involved with the original consultation with DVLA as I was Prez of this club at the time. They offered us 3 alternatives; pre 1919, pre 1945 and pre 1960. I actually advocated pre 1945, as I reasoned that few if any vehicles before that year were actually still daily drives, whereas early Land-Rovers and Moggy Minors for example could be. As you rightly say, the vast majority of classic vehicle owners are sensible and responsible but I suspected that the 1960 cut-off left the system open to abuse by people potentially running a dangerous rot-box with a bloody great big V8 engine and no brakes, just to dodge road tax. Now that they've made it a rolling 40 years, that potential becomes greater; however, I don't see the exemption lasting beyond the next election, as Labour will put a fixed cut-off date to it as they did in 1997, when it was frozen at 1972 to the chagrin of many British bike owners.

Back