Rear Brake Lever/Pedal

Buellbloke

So I own a 2022 Streetbob with forward controls, a genuine kit with that wanky brake lever, painted shiny and potentially slippery.
Its double sided so present each side of the arm. I've adjusted it back as far as am able to lift the arm and make it more leverable but its still pants as its angled downwards.
Part of its lack of power comes down to the diminutive size of the rear caliper, a much maligned part over harleys history. The M8 version is significantly smaller than the Twin Cams softail version due to the angle at which the swing arm is designed.
Harley make a billet brake lever that is single sided and angled better for decent pressure and leverage, thing is almost always out of stock and I've yet to be in a position to afford one anyway.
Even though have heard that Harley uses sintered pads already (do they? always heard manufacturers fitted organic pads), maybe fitting some EBC HH Sintered could help some too as was used on Harleys extensivly in the early 2000's. Obviously a floating rear from the likes or Arlen Ness would be preferable, at the moment expense is not what am about, am sure I said that already.
Have heard rumours you can use the chrome one off a Breakout, am considering the purchase of a couple levers that were previously used with floorboards, both are from M8's uncertain what models, price is too good to be true so be buying with buyer protection. If the seller mentions they have no paypal and require bank transfer well I guess I wont be buying them no matter how cheap!
The fittment/shaft part is the same as is the connection to the linkage for the master cylinder.
They both look to be made from mild steel plate which suggests they could be bent further, though is two pedals both angled slightly different so the option for decent fittment is already there.
So anybody had a go?
20240330_134742.jpg
392900247_7496227203731483_7900638206970697268_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just as easy to take rod and clevis off and replace rod with longer one fabricated to suit just measure from pedal to pipe and calculate rod length from there allowing for clearance on pipe and some free play 2mm on pipe and maybe 1.5-2mm for freeplay as they all adjust for length anyway 🤔

Just as easy to take rod and clevis off and replace rod with longer one fabricated to suit just measure from pedal to pipe and calculate rod length from there allowing for clearance on pipe and some free play 2mm on pipe and maybe 1.5-2mm for freeplay as they all adjust for length anyway 🤔
Good idea if you want to keep the original lever comes with the forwards kit. Think I failed to mention how far off the foot peg you have to angle your foot to activate it, for the most part your foot sits on the footpeg mount rather than the foot peg.
Its not great on the gear lever side either, harleys design for forward control pegs and shifter/brake pedal is complete bollocks on this bike and the LRS. Have seen bikes where the forward part of the chaincase paint was worn away by the owner leaving their foot in the natural position close to the gear lever and not resting on the footpeg, their heel then rests against the chaincase. It takes concentrated effort to move your feet out and back onto the footpegs, only needing to move them back to the peg mounts to shift and to brake again.

Last edited:
M8 Fat Boy foot boards and controls will bolt straight on and offer a far better riding experience than any of the HD forward control kits. Although even with the Fat Boy controls the brake pedal is a bit “off” and needs a bit of tweaking to get it spot on. The Fat Boy foot boards also give a little extra cornering clearance before they touch down.

Stick a close up picture up
Brake pedal can be clearly seen to be way off the line of the foot rest.
Gearchange doesnt look too bad from that angle though really its catching the side of your foot. Would have included a picture or the wear marks on the chaincase but alas binned those as was on a bike I intended to purchase until found out the owner still had 9k of debt sitting on it.
I could probably use a longer bolt on the gearchange and pop a spacer between the end of the rubber and the mount.
M8 Fat Boy foot boards and controls will bolt straight on and offer a far better riding experience than any of the HD forward control kits. Although even with the Fat Boy controls the brake pedal is a bit “off” and needs a bit of tweaking to get it spot on. The Fat Boy foot boards also give a little extra cornering clearance before they touch down.
Floorboards sit the riders legs higher and closer to the rider being 6ft prefer my 32 inseam more out stretched, besides floorboards are not the look am going for. Am after old skool/modern version of a Night Train, sort of.
Screenshot 2024-04-01 104958.jpg

Last edited:
can i ask where you got your TBR friendly shields?
wifes got them on her bob and the rear header burns her leg
Uncertain of your revision, the latest TBR pipes of which this is one fit closer. If you've got a few mm around the timing chest, the same around the gearbox and the pipe came with no spacers for mids then you have the latest version, the rear header has been moved to be more central betwixt gearbox and engine. The heat shields come with the pipe. Only place I imagine you would source them is 2 Bros Racing in the USA they carry all versions via this link including full coverage versions, any finish you fancy.

Last edited:
Part of its lack of power comes down to the diminutive size of the rear caliper, a much maligned part over harleys history. The M8 version is significantly smaller than the Twin Cams softail version due to the angle at which the swing arm is designed.
The calliper is deffo up to the job. It's the same as on the Sport Glide and they brake every bit as well as the twin cams. Maybe try the entire set up from a Sport Glide, see if that helps? You could take one for a test ride first just to see if the angle is any better. Your set up looks uncomfortable to use.

The calliper is deffo up to the job. It's the same as on the Sport Glide and they brake every bit as well as the twin cams. Maybe try the entire set up from a Sport Glide, see if that helps? You could take one for a test ride first just to see if the angle is any better. Your set up looks uncomfortable to use.
Have heard 100's of people bitch and complain about the rear caliper of the M8 Softails. Moreso if using mid controls as lever activation is a downward pressure and less effective than a forward pressure. I probably forgot to mention that and it is somewhat a major point.
Many have complained about the Universal forward controls brake lever with its glossy black slippery powder coated finish and its less than ideal placement. Its size and angle is also detrimental to effective braking and requires significant rearward adjustment.
Having only passed on others grievances concerning the rear caliper where mid controls and the glossy black pedal was concerned.
The caliper itself is somewhat diminutive compared to the dyna twin cam and previous softails you cannot deny that. (size matters where brakes are concerned)
For myself with only now having 850 miles on the bike the rear brake pads are just begining to bed in decently.
As to my setup the rear brake is actually identical to the Sport Glide. It would be it has the same lever & same master cylinder, same forward footpegs. I find the new Sportglide/Breakout lever at the angle I have it suits me perfectly, braking power over the previous black glossy pedal is significantly better.
The only addition I have made is to paint it black and fit a Dominion Small Brake Pedal Pad which is actually wider than the factory rubber pad by the addition of the anodised piece on the end. The basic non adjustable rubber footpegs have been replaced with adjustable Defiance pegs which are superior as adjustable to the rider. Stating the setup looks uncomfortable is a bit of an oxymoron

Last edited:
Uncertain of your revision, the latest TBR pipes of which this is one fit closer. If you've got a few mm around the timing chest, the same around the gearbox and the pipe came with no spacers for mids then you have the latest version, the rear header has been moved to be more central betwixt gearbox and engine. The heat shields come with the pipe. Only place I imagine you would source them is 2 Bros Racing in the USA they carry all versions via this link including full coverage versions, any finish you fancy.

her TBR full system is 5years old: black 2into1 header, carbon end cap - so would think its an early revision, especially from the description of the rear header that def bends out further than OEM

They have good customer service in my experience, have spoken a few times as I also have black carbon end mufflers on my FLHXS (we buy direct). Haven't looked at the site in a while so didn't realise they made a shield now.

cheers(y)

Have heard 100's of people bitch and complain about the rear caliper of the M8 Softails. Moreso if using mid controls as lever activation is a downward pressure and less effective than a forward pressure. I probably forgot to mention that and it is somewhat a major point.
Many have complained about the Universal forward controls brake lever with its glossy black slippery powder coated finish and its less than ideal placement. Its size and angle is also detrimental to effective braking and requires significant rearward adjustment.
Having only passed on others grievances concerning the rear caliper where mid controls and the glossy black pedal was concerned.
The caliper itself is somewhat diminutive compared to the dyna twin cam and previous softails you cannot deny that. (size matters where brakes are concerned)
For myself with only now having 850 miles on the bike the rear brake pads are just begining to bed in decently.
As to my setup the rear brake is actually identical to the Sport Glide. It would be it has the same lever & same master cylinder, same forward footpegs. I find the new Sportglide/Breakout lever at the angle I have it suits me perfectly, braking power over the previous black glossy pedal is significantly better.
The only addition I have made is to paint it black and fit a Dominion Small Brake Pedal Pad which is actually wider than the factory rubber pad by the addition of the anodised piece on the end. The basic non adjustable rubber footpegs have been replaced with adjustable Defiance pegs which are superior as adjustable to the rider. Stating the setup looks uncomfortable is a bit of an oxymoron
Just looks a long way forward, as if you have to extend your foot a long way to apply pressure. Might just be the angle of the photo or summat? If you look at the SG in the for sale page it looks quite a bit more upright. I moved to a SG from a Dyna Fat Bob and can't say I noticed any significant lack of braking on the rear, Moved on from that to an Ultra and up until last weekend that was pretty good too. Lost a lot of feel when out on Saturday for some reason. Good luck sorting the issue, whatever it is.

Just looks a long way forward, as if you have to extend your foot a long way to apply pressure. Might just be the angle of the photo or summat? If you look at the SG in the for sale page it looks quite a bit more upright. I moved to a SG from a Dyna Fat Bob and can't say I noticed any significant lack of braking on the rear, Moved on from that to an Ultra and up until last weekend that was pretty good too. Lost a lot of feel when out on Saturday for some reason. Good luck sorting the issue, whatever it is.
It is certainly a bit further forward adjusted for my preference, I rarley do default anything, from what I had to what I have braking is much improved. I cannot compare it to the Dyna Fatob as that bike has a double disc setup, up front and I always brake combined 60/40.Screenshot 2024-04-24 180047.jpg

Back