rear tyre size

Hawkeye

I need a new rear for my FXR but i am dammed if i can find the size on the tyre itself

can somome enlighten me :60277EB7B04744289C0

Re: rear tyre size

This is what I found for my own FXR, from Avon's excellent website:
FXR Super Glide (1986 - 1994)

Front tyres - Venom
Size 100/90-19 57H (also WW)
2.5 bar (36psi)

Rear tyres - Venom
Size MT90B16 74H (also NW, WW), 140/90B16 77H (choice of two)
2.8 bar (40psi)

The rear 140/90B16 77H is a larger tyre than the other one, so that is what I went for.

The original fitment size of an FXR Rear Tire is 130/90 16 not a 140.

With a 140 you may get belt clearance problems, different brands of tires are often different sectional widths too dispite being the same stated size and this can make quite a differance with belt clearance.
Remember you need to allow for some expansion when the tire is hot for belt clearance.

I used to run a 130 Conti Blitz and there was not a lot of clearance, you would not have got a 140 in there without the belt rubbing.

Steve

With a 140 you may get belt clearance problems
Steve, you are quite correct. The 140 Venom I fitted involved a minor modification - I simply had to remove the 3 pop rivets that hold the flexi-curtain to the rear face of the lower belt guard i.e. next to the tyre. The curtain was then discarded and the plastic guard re-installed, making a fix that is invisible to the casual observer.

There is ample clearance inside the fender and from the tyre wall to both the guard and the belt itself. It was a zero-cost mod :439: that still affords the protection of the lower belt guard - something that I would not be happy to lose.

Pete

Back