Road test wanted.......

Phssthpok

Club Member
:anonymous:......g'day guys, I'm in need of a road test on a 1958 FLH Duo-Glide. Failing that, if anyone has ever put some miles on one of the beasts and would be willing to let me ask them a bunch of ill-informed questions please PM me.

Re: Road test wanted.......

I'm in touch with Dave Munkenbeck late of Warrs HD who rode one for many years - e-mail me your questions and I'll ask him....

Do you mean road tests from 1958? I've got some archive stuff....other than cosmetics there's not much difference in all year Duo's... I've ridden a bunch of them, though not a '58.

Mark club member Richard aka Tricky has had a 58 Pan for about 10 years you can send him a pm here

:encouragement:........thanks for the responses guys and sorry about the delay in responding I was either rock climbing in the Blue Mountains or drinking beer in Sydney Harbour pubs; damn if I can remember which. Anyway, I'm back now.
John M - foot clutch hand change? I had no idea they still had foot-clutches which would be great and something I can use.
Paul - I'll email you with specific questions for Dave Munkenbeck
John S - yes I do you mean road tests from 1958 or the nearest to a '58 bike.
Barry - thanks and may well need some specific pictures Richard may be able to help with.

rolleye......here's a question for anyone: how much would a very good condition, original 1958 FLH Duo-Glide sold for in the middle of the 80's?

rolleye......here's a question for anyone: how much would a very good condition, original 1958 FLH Duo-Glide sold for in the middle of the 80's?

As a benchmark I paid ?2000 for my '58 Duo in 1986 rescued from under a tarp in a back garden, non runner but complete and 90% original. Seemed a fortune back then and as me mates pointed out, could of bought a roadworthy shovel for the same money. Still got the old girl .

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 68

:cool:......thanks, Vince.

:cool:......so, if Vince paid ?2000 for a "rescued" 90% completed 1958 Duo in 1986 then how much would a 100% unmolested VGC bike have cost? So, using his ?2000 as a reference point, and bearing in mind the average wage in 1985 was ?8,890, I would estimate "my" bike would be worth north of ?3500 in 1985; which would be about ?10500 in today's money although that seems low to me especially as they are now 35 years older. Having a quick look at auction sites that should be more like $20,000+. Anyway, does ?3500 - ?4000 seem about right in 1985?

I would say your estimates are a little high. Firstly Duo's were not so rare then... They were very cheap in the US, and at least 1 club member used to bring 20 plus pans a year over to sell.

Secondly stock ones were not desirable to the masses. Most folks would make offers based on how much they would need to spend to personalise it.

Don't ask me how I know this....at Mersea Poker Run in '86 I was close to buying an unrestored perfect running' 49Hydra that had just landed..... I thought ?3.5k was too salty....

Back