Route 500

Army

Club Member
How do guys n gals i'm thinking of riding Route 500 up in Scotland now i know some of the club have ridden it especially the folk from region 1 and 2 but i could do with some info i.e. the Route itself start to finish, places of interest, hotels or BBs and maybe some decent pubs on the Route :cool:

Re: Route 500

I was looking at this with 10 others on our Scottish tour but accommodation was pretty limited for that number. If it's just a few of you should have less of an issue, would book in advance. Camping is an option as well.

You searched hostels? We always camp when touring but i noticed when we were last up the far north there seemed to be a lot of hostels about.

Andy, Theres a feature on the nc500 in this months ride magazine.
Ive read the mag now, so if you pm me your address, i will post it up to you.

Hi,

I did the NC500 last year (on a FXDF) and was blessed with amazing weather.

My tuppence worth is stay in Inverness and then head west to Applecross, so clockwise way around. Amazing views and tricker roads whilst still fresh, and then the 'easier' roads back down the east side.

You'll need to book well in advance for accommodation. We booked November for June and still struggled.

Places we stayed in as follows:

Station Hotel Inverness IV9 8PP 01381620246
Applecross InnStrathcarronIV54 8LR01520 744 262
The Ceilidh PlaceUllapoolIV26 2TY01854 612 103
maryck.co.ukKyleskuIV27 4HW01971 502 009
The Weigh Inn ThursoKW14 7UG01847 893 722
Station HotelInverness

If you're staying in the Station Hotel make sure you stay in the nice rooms (the building to the side) , otherwise look elsewhere.

The Applecross Inn is awesome and food is amazing.

Ceilidh Place really good too.

I'd probably skip the maryck, I'd stay there again (Mary is a proper character) but the tide from Ullapool to Thurso is easily doable in one go and doesn't need the stop over en route.

The Weigh Inn is basic but clean.

It's amazing and well worth doing, obviously the Bealach na Ba has to be ridden (no dabs!) the beaches and views are incredible and make sure you do some history stops in addition to the usual Dunnet Head, John O'Groats etc.

Enjoy it. And eat the sea food as often as you can.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

cheerts for that do you have a bit of an itinary of places of interest that you could reccomend

As Urrel said above the northcoast500 website (and app) are really good. There's loads of suggestions there, depends on what you like. (Try and and do the whale watching, I missed them)

One thing, I love camping, for the NC500 though I'd recommend hotel/b&b. Not much more cash and so much more convenient (and comfortable) bearing in mind the mileage you'll cover.

Our original itinerary is below. However, we didn't do everything on there, we swapped some stuff around.

Check the NC500 website and plan your days, but stay flexible and do the other stuff as you find out about it. There is a lot of miles, on some challenging roads (all rideable) so see how it goes on the day.

As previously mentioned, I'd ride straight from the Ceilidh Place to the Weigh Inn if I was doing it again. I originally planned in the Maryck as, based on some comments online I thought the route would be tiring on that day. It wasn't, so ride the bridge in Kylesku and push on to Thurso.

DAY 1
STATION HOTEL
CULLODENIV2 5EU
CAWDOR CASTLEIV12 5RD
SCOTTISH DOLPHIN CENTREIV32 7PJ
ROGIE FALLSIV14 9EQ
HOTELAPPLECROSS INNIV54 8LR

191 MILES
4 HR 56

Day 2
APPLECROSS INN
ISLE OF EWE SMOKEHOUSEIV22 2JJ
CEILIDH PLACEIV26 2TY

116 MILES
3 HOURS 13

Day 3
CELIDH PLACE
MARYCK B&B

32 MILES
48 MINUTES

Day 4
MARYCK B&B
THE WEIGH INNKW14 7UG

105 MILES
2 HOURS 48

Day 5
THE WEIGH INN
DUNNETT Head KW14 8YEMOST NORTHERLY POINT IN UK
CASTLE OF MEYKW14 8XH
JOHN O'GROATS
WICK
DUNROBIN CASTLE KW10 6SF
CHANONRY POINTIV10 8SDWHALE SPOTTING
STATION HOTELIV9 8PP

147 MILES
3 HOURS 38

Day 6STATION HOTEL
EILEAN DONAN CASTLEIV40 8DX
HOME

479 MILES
9 HOURS 14

Just a point of note, I used the vast bulk of this route as part of my Iron Butt ride a few years ago, so if you're looking to just do it as a ride-out, it's perfectly feasible without stopovers!

The Iron Butt people were well impressed that I'd managed it given the lack of 70mph roads available.

Just a point of note, I used the vast bulk of this route as part of my Iron Butt ride a few years ago, so if you're looking to just do it as a ride-out, it's perfectly feasible without stopovers!

The Iron Butt people were well impressed that I'd managed it given the lack of 70mph roads available.
Respect Mike coz my soft buttocks normally have that bruised feel after 350 miles in fact as sore as a Choir boy who is good buddies with catholic priest

Respect Mike coz my soft buttocks normally have that bruised feel after 350 miles in fact as sore as a Choir boy who is good buddies with catholic priest

Thanks Andy, I was achy for a day or two but a hell of a good day. Of the four of us who did it, one cut a chunk out as it was just too much but at least he had the decency to greet us with beer when we finished.

Thanks Andy, I was achy for a day or two but a hell of a good day. Of the four of us who did it, one cut a chunk out as it was just too much but at least he had the decency to greet us with beer when we finished.
ah friends serving beer at the end of a long run ya cant beat it well ya can I suppose, 2 friends serving beer ah bliss

How do guys n gals i'm thinking of riding Route 500 up in Scotland now i know some of the club have ridden it especially the folk from region 1 and 2 but i could do with some info i.e. the Route itself start to finish, places of interest, hotels or BBs and maybe some decent pubs on the Route :cool:

Did you ever do this Andy?

5 of us are booking for 2022 just trying to decide if to go clockwise or Anti clockwise

Did you ever do this Andy?

5 of us are booking for 2022 just trying to decide if to go clockwise or Anti clockwise

How do Jason we couldn't get any accommodation booked every single place was booked up but Its still on the agenda, I might just take the tent when we are able to go outside and play

Ok cheers, we are starting to book now for next year, so fingers crossed this doesn?t last another year

Just booked the last B&B last night so all set for next year, was surprised that a couple are already booked up for May next year

Back