Saddle bags

W

Walenut

Anyone got any magic ideas on how to repair the plastic backs on permanent mount leather saddle bags or is just a case of getting a sheet of aluminium, some pop rivets and my taping hammers out?

Re: Saddle bags

Ok mate but it will be tomorow now.:auto181:

Try a bumper or fairing repairer, they weld up the splits. Finish should not be a problem on the back of a saddlebag. There is a repairer in Aldershot, where abouts are you?

I'm in the midlands mate, is plastic welding that successful.?

No problems with a Yamaha fairing we had repaired after the bike went over, it was just trying to get a good finish for it to be painted. I doubt if you need worry about that. Try your local Yellow Pages but dont type in Plastic Surgeon as the guy in Aldershot is called!!!

Cheers mate, I'll give it a go.:auto181:

Depending on how bad the damage, you could try JB Weld.
It's a yanky product which I think I got mine from Halfords.
It works well if you mix it right, you can suposedly retap threads with it.
Or my other suggestion was going to be fibre glass, a bit messy but bloody strong and even though it's on the back you could tidy it up with a bit of P38.
I got that from Halfords aswell.
Cheers

Tibbs

I wreckon anyone of the sugestions would work.
Plastice weld/JB Weld would be your easiest way to go, if it didn't hold I'd do what you suggested on ya first post.

Re being up late, 5am your time is 4pm here in NZ.
I like having a sneaky look while I'm working.:wink:

Let us know how it turns out.

Tibbs

I wreckon anyone of the sugestions would work.
Plastice weld/JB Weld would be your easiest way to go, if it didn't hold I'd do what you suggested on ya first post.

Re being up late, 5am your time is 4pm here in NZ.
I like having a sneaky look while I'm working.:wink:

Let us know how it turns out.

Tibbs

Will do mate, enjoy your summer.:60277EB7B04744289C0

Back