SE London biker institution. Will ever be resurrected?

Dave SRod

Club Member
After covid there will be shops, bars, pubs and venues that will never reopen. But will some ever be rebuilt? A year ago in early January a car ran off the road and demolished the tea hut on the A2 road that crosses Blackheath in SE London. That could not have been easy as the heaths edge is protected by a low mound and low section of short wooden lengths of telegraph pole in the mounds! These were designed to keep traveller caravans off. The hut remains were quickly demolished and the owners said a quick rebuild would follow. The space is now forlorn and overgrown with weeds. Been a bit of an institution for me and mates and I first used it in the mid 70's and then in the early 80's when it was a convenient stop after having a few beers with mates, in E London/Essex borders pubs, to getting home in S London. And I've used it on and off ever since. Almost whatever time of day or night there would always be a few bikes and more recently was attracting the food delivery scooter boys. Never in the Boxhill or High Beech level of 2 wheel attendance, but an institution none-the-less. Too early for a full RIP?

Re: SE London biker institution. Will ever be resurrected?

I hope so, if it's normally a busy profitable takeaway hut it should have a future. In the current climate and chaos of endless restrictions and lockdowns, who would launch any such venture, probably better to wait until this pandemic crisis is over.

I remember the Animal burger of the 90's there.

Me and my mates would all go out for the night and when the pubs shut, no matter where we were that night. Blackheath tea hut.

Basically the Animal was everything on the menu in a bun.

Yum

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Yup, also remember it and hope it might return.

The Animal burger, on top of all that beer PMK! - Respect mate. You wuz a growing lad!

I'm guessing the old Chelsea Bridge burger stall has been long gone...?

(in the early eighties us single, no need for sleep, get the late night munchies blokes used to leave the London clubnight at closing time and ride into Heathrow airport and stroll into the ground crew canteen for chips and tea. I doubt if that can be done now?)

Probably long gone now Paul. Anyone with more info? let us know. I attended a large number of times in the early/mid 70's but always found it far too busy to get refreshment. Really liked looking at the mix of bikes there. We would attend after spending the evening at the 59 Club in Hackney, on our way home. But for me it was quite a long (urban, timewise) diversion.

There's a crew going round the North Circular late at night. I'm told they go up there sometimes, but doubt there's any refreshments. They tear up and down, howling and going nuts. Sometimes hear the odd TC joining in. Young lads, open roads, irresistible. I'm surprised Uncle William hasn't put a stop to it.

I'm surprised Uncle William hasn't put a stop to it.

Too busy slapping fines on folk out walking, or sitting on park benches. Its recorded as a crime, so makes the figures look good. Bastards.

Reactions: M&M

Ah...youthful times. In the 70's there was the Kings Road cruise, a very late evening, mainly a car event, that did attract very large pavement crowds. Few of us bikers joined it once. At Sloane Square the police were dissipating the cars, but me knowing a few back streets, we went up 4 or 5 times until eventually stopped by them. No wheelies or burnouts from us, just a cruise, but they took our number plate details and we were given a 'not by the rules' severe warning that if we ever came back...No, didn't go again! Ah, our wonderful boys in blue!

Reactions: M&M

Didn't they open the park and let them gather in there to get them off the road?
I also remember when things changed at Box Hill. An idiot journalist for one of the London evening papers with a "trendy" column came down and then wrote a BS article titled "The rocker box where bikers roar", that brought hoards of tossers down there, followed by loads of heavy handed police (no doubt the Chief Constable doing a favour for privileged pals who lived nearby) that in due course led to the dedicated bikes only parking space which limited how many could attend.

Well, the Blackheath Tea Hut is back! About a year now.

I did come past the site last summer, on the road, but failed to spot it in the gloom, as the owners have chosen a light shade of grey for the colour scheme and it's quite small. In its previous incarnation it was dark green, about 4 times the size, with a large covered/seated area attached (not allowed now).

I was taking a stroll over the heath at twilight, a great place to watch a sun set, with a rising full moon in an almost clear sky and spotted the tea hut. A chat with the owner and a cuppa at sundown sufficed, as I did not feel up to an animal burger, PMK!

Welcome back, to a much missed friend. I shall endeavour to frequent more often.

Thornton Heath pond. . . know it well Colin. You wouldn't recognise it now 'tho.
They filled in the pond years ago; the pubs have gone; and blocks of flats surround it now.
That's progress for you.
So may these small outposts, of the non-historical past, survive in some form.

Back