Serious security risk with web browsers

Roger

Club Member

Without going into technical details there is a serious vulnerability in some web browsers that could allow people to view your private information such as bank details and personal details. I?ve tested it out myself, and it is a serious threat to your security.

More information can be found at POODLE Security Vulnerability Breaks SSLv3 Secure Browsing - Forbes.

You can test if your browser is secure at https://www.poodletest.com/

Re: Serious security risk with web browsers

:smile:.....appreciated, Roger and up-date now added to Firefox.

Does it affect android devices? Just ran the test on a Kindle Fire HD and it came up good. I use the tablet for web browsing more than my laptop these days.

For the attack to work the attacker must be on the same wireless network (or in the path of your communications) and your client must be running Javascript (such as in a web browser) which makes the attack less all out serious than vulnerabilities like Heartbleed - It also says more of a risk if on a wireless hotspot - so at home should be not too risky

For the attack to work the attacker must be on the same wireless network (or in the path of your communications) and your client must be running Javascript (such as in a web browser) which makes the attack less all out serious than vulnerabilities like Heartbleed - It also says more of a risk if on a wireless hotspot - so at home should be not too risky

Yes, unless someone is on your network you should be OK. But any WiFi is vulnerable - home or public. Any workplace is vulnerable simply by plugging a rogue access point into the network.

Am I right in thinking this is a wireless issue?
Although my router has wireless,I always use a LAN cable,even with a laptop.
Does that make me secure?

Without going into technical details there is a serious vulnerability in some web browsers that could allow people to view your private information such as bank details and personal details.
Just to clarify ...

You mean "could allow people to view your private information such as bank details and personal details" ... if you send them over a wireless connection?

It's not like some Windows/IoS backdoor that allows everyone from the NSA to the teenage hacker next door to enter your computer and do whatever they like, is it?

Just to clarify ...

You mean "could allow people to view your private information such as bank details and personal details" ... if you send them over a wireless connection?

It's not like some Windows/IoS backdoor that allows everyone from the NSA to the teenage hacker next door to enter your computer and do whatever they like, is it?

Not directly. Under certain circumstances a Black Hat may be able to read 'encrypted' data you send using something like Wireshark. However if that information is your user name and password to the PC...

Back