Service

E

edge

Bike ( 04 FLHRCI )has nearly done 5000 miles can i do a service myself or should i book it in. It`s running fine i was just going to drop the oil and change the filter and plugs. I would be gratefully for your input on this.

Cheers edge
icon7.gif

Re: Service

Have you got any warranty left, which dealers would you be using?

Morning harleyhog, warranty is out now
and the dealer went tits up (Three Rivers).

I'm in the same boat warranty gone dealer's price's too high sounds like it's time to take it to an indy,and he can stamp your book for you.
fullbore must be close to you then

Hi telboy but what do they do on a 5000 service can only be change the oil and filter and sign the book. I have used Rodger before, he is very good but is this not something i could do?

DIY and save a fortune if you can. ;)

If done when and how it should be with appropriate parts and no that does not mean it has to be genuine as long as they are the same or higher spec., {but regards filters & gasket Genuine is probably the way to go, but oil not necessarily} your warranty is not invalid no matter by whom or where it is done, that is one thing you can thank the EU for.

hi edge the way i see it you got it serviced at a dealer to keep the warranty going but now the warranty is out the only other reason is going to be for resale, ie service history.
if your not going to sell it.there's no reason why you shouldn't do your own servicing and repairs but if your like me there's always something else you want so the service record is important

telboy

Rob it's as easy as f***

Dropping the oil and filter change all done on side stand anyway so it's a doddle.
At 5k I would also think of transmisson and primary oils.
But as Telboy said Roger is the man and your book would be kept up to date and valid.

Last edited:

If you think you can do it, then get on and do it.
as for warranty issues who knows you changed your own oil? after all its your bike not the stealer's.
concerning service any independent with the necessary skills can service your bike fill in the log book with out it affecting your warranty, thats the law now as SJ says eu law.

RE:- The service history, once a bike over about three years old most H-D main agents will not sell it anyway they will pass it on, so it is not really worth a jot!
Service history that is just stamps in a book is worthless too, what you really want to see is the receipts and work sheets.

I rather buy a bike from a guy who can produce all the receipts for a bike and knows how to service the bike himself than one that had been main dealer serviced.
Why because here in the UK IMHO and experience most main dealer technicians are slap dash and only do the bare minimum.

5K service they will change the oils but you be lucky if they adjust the cables or even the drive belt unless it is way out of spec!

A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold, but the big dealers do not want to pay them so they are in short supply.

I am off down the shop for them to look at my sticking master cylinder on the Sporty, under warranty, and am just waiting to hear what line of bullshit they will come out with as to why it will not need replacing, had a battle with them to even look at it, we are busy, how about the end of next week!

Thanks for all you sound advice. I have no intension selling the bike we will grow old together. I have a folder with every invoice for every part i have put on the bike. I will do this one myself and as BaZa recommends i will change all the oils. When i find where they are.
icon7.gif

Thanks harleyhog for the help and the threads.
BaZa i would be most honoured for you to come round and check i do it right thanks for the offer. I hope to be at the meeting on the 10th will talk to you then if i do not see you before.

edge

Back