Shake rattle and clank

E

ed

For some time I have had a rattly light noise from around the balancer pipe or lower engine area on my 88 TC 2001 Dyna. She runs very well and until a few weeks ago the rattle has almost stopped once above idling speed.

It has recently got much worse however, and rattles all the time, but with much more enthusiasm just above idle.

I have listened with a bar to my ear, and the gearbox sounds OK, as does the front timing cover area, but I am worried that it could be more than just pipe and fittings. I can find nothing loose.

Is it as I hope and suspect just a case of taking off the pipes, cheap chrome heat shields and manky jubilee clips and refitting, with whatever gaskets etc. have collapsed, or may I have some nastiness in cams / gearbox / starter that could also sound like this?

Advice would be apreciated.

Headers are standard
Bike is FXD with 23,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

Ed

Re: Shake rattle and clank

Sounds similar to wot i had, all it was, was the exhaust heat shields. Undid the Jubilee clips, slightly adjusted the shield, retightened and that was the end of the noise! Give it a try.

I know it sounds daft, but I had a similar problem, didnt know where it was coming from till I touched the side stand with my heel. now I just ignore it as I know what it is:)

S.T.Chapman said:
I know it sounds daft, but I had a similar problem, didnt know where it was coming from till I touched the side stand with my heel. now I just ignore it as I know what it is:)

Did the little rubber thingy drop off then Simon? :D :D :D

Thanks guys, but so far no joy. I have removed all heat shields - no change. Stand is OK with full rubbery knob on it.

The more I listen to it, the more I think engine is Ok (that is the worry, of course) and it is where the header joins. I'll take the whole lot off asap and have a butchers.

Are the headers stainless? They are a right mess at the moment, but if s/s they might polish up and no more circus bits or kit - car clamps (sorry if you've also got a V8 Sumo or something tasty there). Would the heat burn legs, boots and any other dangly bits at a rate of knots? I know that this point is, of course, a little infammatory. Yup, it's been a hard day.

Cheerio

Ed

BrunoKatz WW1FighterPilot said:
Did the little rubber thingy drop off then Simon? :D :D :D

what little rubber thingey:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

S.T.Chapman said:

If the side stand rattles Simon then a new spring should stop the rattle.

no.
I suspect a rubber thingey might cure it, thats if it bothered me:D

Im more concerned about my engine mounts than an occaisional rattle at tickover:confused:

Back