Shovel Wide Glide

Army

Club Member
So I have the chance to purchase a 1980 Shovel wide glide but can someone tell me if there is a huge difference in the seat height compared with a twin cam Wide glide. The twin cam fits me like a glove, I'm 6ft 1" but I think the shovel might be a lot smaller

A friend of mine has one and he says that the standard forwards are awkward, if that makes sense. I think it would be a good idea to try before you buy.

Someone said if your tall and long legged the shovel wide glide can be more comfortable. I've owned and rode a few twin cam wide glides and they seem to be a bike that suits a tall rider

I wouldn't care too much about the seat height, if it's in good original condition, snap it up:D.
It's in superb condition, I think its the unknown as I've never owned a Shovel, I'm led to believe the last couple of years were the best Shovel but I have no knowledge of them so I cannot comment

Early "original" Wide Glides are sought after. Have it. They take a little bit of maintenance like say an old brit but I suspect it won't be your daily ride, just turn up at the local Harley meet and draw a crowd :cool:.

It might mean my chop goes on the market, I'm just about finished it and it will look stunning but it might be sold to finance the Shovel and T160

The most common lament I've heard about Shovels is, "I wish I'd never sold my old Shovelhead."
If you've got the chance to own a 1980 FXWG (in m.o.l. all original shape)..... well, it isn't a buy you'd ever regret..........
and, as you say, you've never owned (or been owned by) a Shovelhead, what a splendid opprotunity is before you......

There is a serious factor to consider - 1980 to early 1981 shovels had a different valve guide, one with a circlip instead of a cast flange. These guides are of different material which pinch seizes when hot however they are fatter than the old guides so the heads had wider holes so you can't go back to the old guides WHICH THE FACTORY DID DURING 1981. If you have them and they misbehave (which they very likely will) then the only cure is new heads.

There is a serious factor to consider - 1980 to early 1981 shovels had a different valve guide, one with a circlip instead of a cast flange. These guides are of different material which pinch seizes when hot however they are fatter than the old guides so the heads had wider holes so you can't go back to the old guides WHICH THE FACTORY DID DURING 1981. If you have them and they misbehave (which they very likely will) then the only cure is new heads.
I have an old-email from Fred regarding this issue; he sent it to me when I mentioned buying my 1979. According to him the guides were made of steel and he replaced them with close-grain cast iron ones; no mention of changing the whole head. Whether he got them from H-D or had them made, we will never know of course.

Definitely have a go on it if you can. Shovels are wonderful machines and the very late ones were very good, but whatever the year it's the maintenance that counts.

My recently departed 82 Sturgis had mid controls and a similar seat height to the fxwg I found mids extremely uncomfortable. At 5-9 forward controls would possibly have improved things but spoilt the originality.

Doubled checked with a long serving member who went through the 1980 guide business - they were shorter and fatter, the shortness being a major issue (alinement) and the head holes were wider but he thinks one of the after market companies made special traditional "fat" guides to save replacing your head..?

A man with your riding experience should not be worried one bit about seat height on a collectible Shovelhead.

It's not an oddball bike, it has essentially a similar riding position to every FX big twin of the last 50 years. And as you well know, *EVERYBODY* changes seats/pegs/bars to suit their own comfort. You're not basketball-freak tall either......it's no issue, you will either love it or not.

Post a photo of the bike. Be wary - there are a lot of ''1980 FXWG'' out there, but only original ones are worth premium money.

Ask me how I know. I bought a ''1980 FXWG'' 15 years ago and frankly it was cheap because it was a pile of crap and almost completely unoriginal. I spent thousands to bring it back to a period-correct look.

If you are looking to get rid of the TC Wide Glide and just use the 1980, it's extremely advantageous to be handy with spanners. They can be reliable, but that does necessitate a lot of owner involvement.

If you are looking to just add to your stable, that would be wiser.

But please, post a pic of the bike you are interested in, and the price.

Bone stock original 1980 FXWGs sell for damn close to twenty thousand pounds down here in Australia now.

Customised non-stock ones are half that price.

I paid 6,000 quid for mine in 2008 but I wouldn't get a similar nail for that price now.

Last edited:
My recently departed 82 Sturgis had mid controls and a similar seat height to the fxwg I found mids extremely uncomfortable. At 5-9 forward controls would possibly have improved things but spoilt the originality.
I am 6ft 2in and I agree Simon, but it's all about how badly you want the bike and yes originality is a factor with me too.
The mid-controls on my 1982 FXB are not really super comfortable for my height but I just put my boots beyond the pegs and rest my lower calf/ankle on the pegs on a clear road and that's good enough.
Doubled checked with a long serving member who went through the 1980 guide business - they were shorter and fatter, the shortness being a major issue (alinement) and the head holes were wider but he thinks one of the after market companies made special traditional "fat" guides to save replacing your head..?
All this forensic valve stuff is hypothetical 43 years later. Almost every Shovelhead motor has been gone into, and the machine shops to trust are on their umpteenth generation of solutions and knowledge for all such issues. These are very agriculturally simple motors. What you are saying is true, no doubt, but it's no issue in the right hands. Every Shovelhead issue has been addressed by the aftermarket since the 1980s.

Last edited:
All this forensic valve stuff is hypothetical 43 years later. Almost every Shovelhead motor has been gone into, and the machine shops to trust on their umpteenth generation of solutions and knowledge for all such issues. These are very agriculturally simple motors. What you are saying is true, no doubt, but it's no issue in the right hands. Every Shovelhead issue has been addressed by the aftermarket since the 1980s.
I quite agree Dave. I'm always highly amused by those who perpetuate the "AMF is junk" myth; yes there were quality control issues in those days just as there were in pretty much every part of the automotive industry worldwide, not just bikes but cars and trucks as well.

As you rightly say everything has been rebuilt by now. And had it not been for AMF, Harley would've gone the same way by 1973 as Indian did in 1953.

Back