Side-Mounted "Show" Plate

banquo

Club Member
Anyone know where to buy tall side-mounted rear number plates?
Be about 4" wide x 7-8" tall, to fit standard US side mounts, so the number appears (for example) as:
HD
FAT

instead of

HD 07
FAT

Re: Side-Mounted "Show" Plate

I get my plates from MAL here http://www.malplates.co.uk they might be able to help Or you could try a local company to you that make plastic signs for shop fronts etc. they usually do most things. :smile:

Banquo,

Have a look here, I've used them in the past. Very quick service. Have all sorts of sizes , OR will make plates to any size you want (Show only of course!)

http://www.autoreg.net/frames.htm

Cheers
FBB

Thanx folks: I'll pass that on and see how it goes! :60277EB7B04744289C0

Jake, be aware that 3-line number plates are not considered legal for modern bikes and would fail an MOT.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that: yes, I know the legal issues, and am pleased to say it's not for my bike.....
He's got somebody local to make one up, and it turns up on Friday....
Funny, if you remember the old plates back in the 60s, they had these with a tapered base, with 3 rows:
xxxxx______
xxxxxI ABC I
xxxxxI 123 I
xxxx\_D_/
xxxxxxx
Remember them?
Assume the more recent regulations are aimed at automatic recognition of number plates, cameras, road pricing and other Orwellian themes.... :frown:

Anyone know where to buy tall side-mounted rear number plates?
Be about 4" wide x 7-8" tall, to fit standard US side mounts, so the number appears (for example) as:
HD
FAT

instead of

HD 07
FAT

Jake, be aware that 3-line number plates are not considered legal for modern bikes and would fail an MOT.

Pete

Are side mounted number plates considered legal for an MOT?

Thanks to Foxster.
The law says that a plate has to be visible from both sides at an angle of 45? from the centre of the plate. Like this...

13575d1291228352-slide-plates-numberplate2520position2520bike.jpg

So if your plate is so far forward that you can't see the centre of it from a 45? angle on the other side its illegal. The plate doesn't have to be very far forward for this, just a couple of inches, near the axle being too far usually.

Basically they want the plate somewhere near to being in-line with the rear-most point of the bike. So an offset isn't a problem, its sticking it too far forward that will get you pinched.

Mind you Ming things have been known to be replaced just for MOT's.:wink:

Last edited:

I had a wee look at the regulations, which are all very specific about plate size, font shape and size, etc. I've seen a lot of US bikes with their plates on sideways, and I don't see anything in our regulations that mentions orientation, so it could be possible to mount your plate upside down or sideways, which would give the number plate recognition systems something to chew on. :wink:
Pick a personalised number with symmetrical numbers and letters, and HOW 811 S can become S118 MOH.
Interesting possibilities for those in the congestion charging areas perhaps?
No, officer, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should do that, but if you stand on your head, you'll see exactly what I mean....

Back