Sidecars no longer insured!!!

T

Tony Cross

Just been speaking with Ainzy a former member and known to quite a few on here. His insurance was due for renewal on his R1100GS and MZ251 outfit. No change in circumstances other than a year gone bye. Phones up and is told the GS is ok but we no longer insure sidecars. No clear reason given other than they won't cover a sidecar anymore. He has been running it for nearly 3years. Company is called MCE. Wondered if anyone else has heard of problems like this?. Seems crazy.:frown:

Re: Sidecars no longer insured!!!

I recently insured my glide, Zenith refused to insure my bike because Id changed the seat, no probs with the tow bar Id made myself. Equity Red Star didn't see the change of seat to be a problem.

Last edited:

I recently insured my glide, Zenith refused to insure my bike because Id changed the seat, no probs with the toward Id made myself. Equity Red Star didn't see the change of seat to be a problem.

It defies logic unless they saw the Bond film with the EJECTOR SEAT.:smile:

It defies logic unless they saw the Bond film with the EJECTOR SEAT.:smile:
Personal injury claims are fucking things up for insurance, hence the reason they ask if you take a pillion these days.
I'm guessing the risk of another claimant in the chair is too much so they'd rather not bother.
Steve

Update; Ainzy has got insurance via Carol Nash. Much to his delight it was cheaper.:smile:

Update; Ainzy has got insurance via Carol Nash. Much to his delight it was cheaper.:smile:

Despite some criticism of CN that gets levelled on here (in some cases justified in fairness) they've always been cheapest for me too, though the gap has narrowed considerably over the years.

Personal injury claims are fucking things up for insurance, hence the reason they ask if you take a pillion these days.I'm guessing the risk of another claimant in the chair is too much so they'd rather not bother. Steve
I thought all motorbike insurance covered pillions as there was a law brought in early '80s to that effect.

I thought all motorbike insurance covered pillions as there was a law brought in early '80s to that effect.
You'll need to pay a higher premium these days - check your policy wording carefully....

I added a Yamaha 900 sidecar outfit to my TwinCam policy with Carole Nash and the premium actually went down

In the early sixties (I think) there was a big controversy in the motorcycle world over the "Cronin Bill", which was a politician getting pillion insurance made compulsory for motorcycles. Loads of single seat bike owners were up in arms - guess who won, the bike owners or the government. So,.....does the law still stand? does big business do as it pleases despite the law? do I remember all this wrong?

In the early sixties (I think) there was a big controversy in the motorcycle world over the "Cronin Bill", which was a politician getting pillion insurance made compulsory for motorcycles. Loads of single seat bike owners were up in arms - guess who won, the bike owners or the government.
You're correct-ish. In 1961, The Motor Vehicles (Passenger Insurance) Bill was a Private Member?s Bill proposed by the MP for Loughborough, John Cronin, who subsequently withdrew it as he acknowledged that it would place ?a very heavy burden on the insurers of motor cars, motor cycles and motor scooters in the lower income groups.? It was proposed that it would apply to cars and motorcycles, so it wasn't specifically anti-motorcyclist, and it was withdrawn anyway.

From Carole Nash Insurance:
Your motorcycle insurance policy will also dictate whether you can be accompanied on your bike. Many bike insurance policies consider pillion passenger cover as an optional extra, so consult your insurance documents or contact your insurer before you start the engine to check that you are covered. Remember, it is illegal to take to the road without sufficient insurance cover.
From MCN:
One of the biggest motorbike insurance underwriters has decided to refuse cover for a range of bike models unless the rider agrees not to carry passengers.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/insurance/2011/may/may2511-no-pillions-say-leading-motorcycle-insurer/

Last edited:

I am sure this did go through later on maybe not as late as I thought, but I do remember the passenger liability law being brought in.

Back