Simple 49 chop build

Summers

Club Member
I'm building a couple of Panhead chops at mo, a 51ELfor fellow member castironduke (see chopped tank in vintage section). And I've just started a 49FL for myself will post a few pics of my FL here, until interest runs out.

insta. vincent_summers76

Last edited:
Re: Simple 49 chop build

IMG_2558.jpg The heart of the new project, nice 49FL with matching cases . Will be pulling apart though hopefully not splitting cases unless I have to. The carb and ignition will be dumped for a Linkert M74 a Morris magneto and stock lifter blocks.

Last edited:

IMG_2887.jpg Little shave and polish, i like the taper on the FL legs so didn't machine down just removed fender mounts and polished.

IMG_2861.jpg Can't pretend I wasn't tempted to polish this. M74B yes from a later model I know. Rebuilt with with very unperiod rubber ducky float. May convert to cable instead of wire yet depends on how high I go with the bars.

I'll save you a lot of trouble - that gearbox goes BEHIND the motor, not in front...

(and I thought you knew what you were doing...)

IMG_2906.jpg It's not all bolting shiny bits together. Chasing cracks can me a scary business but it's better to do its properly than hoping it won't spread.

IMG_2923.jpg Sissy bar made, will add feet once wheel is built and tyre fitted. Sissy bar is made from 15mm steel bar ( not stainless ) once finished I'll probably polish myself before going to chromer.

Instagram ... vincent_summer76

Motorcycle storehouse pt number 515391. Think they were about ?17. But I've cut the bottom 2" off.

IMG_2991.jpg Not a ton of space, if you want more inches, stroke it. 4 5/8 s&s.

What size displacement are you aiming for? I went 4.25 stroke on mine, which with 60 thou overbore on 74 jugs gave me the exact dimensions of 80 inch shovel / evo... I'm pleased with the results...but can't help thinking a few more inches would be good....

( 60 thou over 74" barrels ) , 4 5/8 stroke = 88 ish cu. not crazy but should be pokey enough. I'm not planning on running a crazy cam. And will try and still run the m74b. Oh and a Morris magneto

Last edited:

IMG_3012.jpg While my barrels are away and everyone else's bikes need parts or chrome I thought I'd give my frame a little trim, nothing major just what would have been done early 60s.

Back