snapped belt

carldruid

Club Member
another snapped belt on the old Ully number 2 at 10,000 miles. getting a bit pricey this. everythiing seems in order wheel bearings,front and rear pulleys though the coating on rear is coming off in places but they all do that apparently so seems like my Ully is just a greedy bugger. But it sure is fun:D

Re: snapped belt

Carl was the 2nd one aftermarket or original?

Hiya,
I sympathise with anyone who has belt drive problems with Buells. I hear about these things but have never experienced it myself. I have a 2005 XB12 owned from new. It has done 20,000 miles on one belt (due for renewal and has defects, but still works fine). Early buells have a shorter wheelbase I believe, maybe the suspension travel calculations were correct for the early Buells and therefore the belt stayed the correct tension through the travel range. My suspension is set quite harsh. Is there a possibility that the later longer wheelbase Buells factory suspension calculations were not made correctly? Add to this the possible off road extra movement of the Ully swinging arm - and maybe a soft suspension setting, ... and having a pillion on board, could the belt go bang at a very tight spot? If a stone gets trapped and goes around the rear sprocket that causes damage - I have seen that. Maybe, disconnect the rear shock at one end and manually raise and lower the swinging arm and see if there is a tight spot anywhere. There is no adjustment factility on a standard XB, and my belt still feels tight after 20K! No idea what to do for a cure except whack up the suspension spring pre-load and don't take passengers. If its any consolation, the early XB Buells would rip up the rear wheel bearings. Wheel bearings were modified later. Early ones had black seals, later ones had red seals I understand. But the belts lasted even if the bearings failed. Take care, Cheers, Tony.

I've owned a 2005 Buell XB12 for almost a year. I've also read the belt stories so am constantly paranoid about my belt snapping (currently on second belt at 15k Miles).
I wonder how much riding style influences belt life on a Buell? Let's face it, they encourage a certain amount of hooligan behaviour compared to most other Harley models. :439:
I know there are widgets that are supposed to help matters but it's likely that constant aggressive riding is the biggest belt killer.......

my Ully has a free spirit tensioner which in my case has made no difference at all. regarding suspension preload thats a possibility as my better half does have a habit of winding it down to the 'bouncy bouncy' setting! think when the new belt arrives i might set the suspension then remove the knob to stop a certain persons hand meddling:p

OooooooooH, A wind up and down suspension adjuster? That makes it too easy. My older XB12 needs a C spanner and a gorilla arm to adjust it. Then just as it clicks over to the next setting, -- slip! your hand gets bloodied when the spanner slips off. Maybe put one of those shocks on. You will never try to adjust it again. Good luck, Tony.

Back