SPARK PLUG THREAD INSERT ISSUE

Hodgie

Asking for a friend.
On removing a spark plug, a previous thread repair insert has come out with the plug. Deffo a insert, not helicoil.
Does anyone know if the insert can be replaced and reinstalled.
TIA

If the threads look ok I would be tempted to screw it back in with some lock tight.....

Would assume it was a "Timesert"? at least use a new one.
Guy I know recently had a "solid" insert come out as a ribbon, like a helicoil - not good.

I would be inclined to set it back in with loctite,after ensuring threads are good, then leave it overnight before replacing the spark plug with copper grease.

A quick point here normal Loctite, Red/Blue will not do it because of the heat, heat breaks down Loctite you will need something a bit special such as the stuff Timesert use!

Spark Plug insert & thread lock

View attachment 1197384
Totally agree SJC. Heat softens Loctite to allow removal. It would be no good in a Head that got so hot. Loctite 266 is equivalent to TimeSert 6020.
But if it is a TimeSert, then they are supposed to have a self locking feature when inserted correctly.

No info on original installation, cylinder 2 and 3 both have inserts. Its an xs1100 by the way. The initial question was not harley specific by any means. Just wanted to know the options to help a mate.

Back