Spark Plugs.

Ron

Club Member
A friend of mine passes me his old motorcycle mags and I found the following to be interesting. It's from the MZ Owners' club mag, a good read. They seem an interesting bunch and get about a fair bit.

It starts with a reference to poor hot starting and the use of NGK plugs. The writer had used NGK's all his life and swore by them until they started playing up in his two big Panther M100's (600cc singles). The bikes would misfire and the plugs fail early. While hunting out a genuine, (there are fakes about) new, old stock NGK he found the Green Spark Plug Co website which offered an explanation for the premature failure of NGK plugs.

To comply with environmental regulations the porcelain part is no longer glazed because the glaze contained lead. The porcelain is now porous and cracks when coming into contact with cool inlet mixture. The hairline cracks are invisible and can occur throughout their length but the net result is electrical tracking, effectively rendering the plugs useless.

The writer then goes on to explain why the NGK's work in other vehicles. Most are fuel injected so amounts of fuel are accurately metered and less likely to be subject to carb tickling, accelerator pumps or heavy choke use causing a big slosh of fuel to wet the plug. I know my Pan/Shovel likes to be nearly flooded from cold. He went on to try Champion and Lodge plugs in the Panthers, neither of which failed.

Another mag had a owner with a old 250cc Triumph playing up, hard to start hot and cold. It was also burning oil which lead him to think about using a plug designed for an oil burning engine, an old style two stroke in fact. He changed to a Brisk plug from F2 Motorcycles who sell new motorcycles like that and a new plug fixed the starting.

I use Brisk plugs in both my bikes after seeing then mentioned on this site somewhere and on F2's site they do say that the plugs are made to suit older style engines and recover well from over rich mixture at start up. The Brisk site briskplugs.co.uk has an extensive fitting list.

So many things that used to work well have now changed to be suitable for modern use but less so for older machinery, we can't rely on a old product just because it always used to be good.

Very interesting that Ron, I used to find when using Bosh plugs years ago, if they ever got fouled from flooding, they never worked so well on start up after, no matter what you did to them, you were best off to just change them!

I use the Green Spark Plug Company, they also trade on e-bay as Diy Car Service Parts, the reason I mention this, is that sometimes if you only want a couple of small items it is cheaper through e-bay as P&P is included in the price where it is additional to the price on their www site.

Last edited:
I have used GSP for a number of years now, can't fault them, most plugs are way cheaper than the usual suppliers and you know you're getting good stuff.
Bought a load of ex MOD plug gaskets, they are designed to be used once, pull the plug fit new gasket, simples.
I don't trust Fleabay, too many fake products, likewise don't buy a condom from Amazon, but I think for most of us that advise is rather passe.

good one Ron ,,funny its the first time i have heard of Brisk ,,so i looked them up ,,
the green spark plug company has a right up on there site stating Brisk history ,,

i will be tryng these next time i buy
thankyou Ron

I remember back in the seventies when just about everyone was saying use NKG in a Harley Warner Riley was championing the use of Champion. As he was involved in the factory speed attempt and had a string of personal drag successes and wrote a tech page for one of the old custom magazines I took his advice.

(by the way, that drag bike silhouette you see on some old club stickers etc is of Riley, copied by the French Owl for our 1989 Super Rally logo)

Very interesting and informative thread (thank you Ron for posting), it's a great example of what makes the forum such a valuable source of information.

John, have a look at F2 Motorcycles site and open the section marked Brisk Spark Plugs. I get mine there at £3 each plus £3 p+p for 4 plugs.

I am currently using NGK ZGR5C for the '82 FXR, this replaces the earlier BPR5ES-11.
The only difference I can discern is the insulator may be longer on the later plugs.
Harley reference 32312-78 then go to 32312-78A for '82. But I have been plagued in the past with early plug failure.
Looking at the Brisk range, the LR17YC does seem to fit the bill.
I will also sort out a plug for the Rudge as its an "oily" engine and the plug is a sod to get at --- thanks for the info Ron!!

Oldguy, I used to think that the length of the insulator denoted/indicated the heat range but apparently the insulators can be all the same length but made of different mixes of material which give the different heat ranges. Of course I can't remember which make or makes of plug this refers to.

interesting those brisk plugs, never heard of them before.
i too use green-plug-co.
playing devils advocate, i've been using NGK BPR5EIX, the iridium plugs for many many years now without any hassle whatsoever.

interesting those brisk plugs, never heard of them before.
i too use green-plug-co.
playing devils advocate, i've been using NGK BPR5EIX, the iridium plugs for many many years now without any hassle whatsoever.
same here but i see BRISK do iridium as well ,,

That is interesting. Though I have in recent months put new NGKs in my 1982 Sturgis and it fired up second kick for the first start in months. Was using NGKs consistently on the previous (kick-only) Shovel also.

Not sure, but i think NGK have a different grade or quality of plug depending on it's application. Iv'e used NGK BR8ES's in 2 stroke aero engines for years without a hiccup, they're recommended by Rotax but not the ones supplied by your local auto mart, they have solid steel tops, not the screw on alloy tops. I get mine from aviation accessory suppliers. Ask the local suppliers for them and they deny they exist.
Maybe need to dig a little deeper.

I've used NGK for many years on my old air-cooled Beemer 1000 with great results. For my hotrod Pan I use Accel, and on stock Shovels strictly HD plugs.

Has anyone ever, with absolute certainty, found out who makes Harleys plugs? (because I recall years back some people claimed it was Champion..)

Has anyone ever, with absolute certainty, found out who makes Harleys plugs? (because I recall years back some people claimed it was Champion..)
I don't think we will ever know for sure. It seems to be a closely guarded secret just like who makes their Battery's.
I am surprised though that an employee or ex-employee of H-D or the company that makes their Plugs and Battery's hasn't come out with the answer. :unsure:

The current plugs supplied for the M8s other than a screw on terminal as opposed to solid are otherwise exactly the same as Champion even down to the plug number and being made in India!

The newer H-D ones have the same Champion code on the box, where as earlier ones have the 6R10 code but both boxes have the same H-D part No. on them!
All the H-D plugs are all marked 6R10, from either box, the Champion plugs are marked RG6HCC

Champion Plug Codes

(The Champion code on the plug in the picture has a 'P' pre-fix as it is not supplied with a screw on SAE terminal, where they are advertised as
P-RG6HCC/T10 this is the code for the multi box of ten as per below)
20231213_144533.jpg

The TC Plugs still say made in the USA but I still strongly suspect these to be Champions too.

20231213_144652.jpg

Last edited:
Back