Spinning starter

Chris L

When starting bike up starter seems to just spin before it fires up, been doin this a couple days now,and prob getting worse...ok people, what is it.:confused:

Re: Spinning starter

yes i wondered...so how long will it last ...and is it an easy job...that I could do, with a little help from my friends..:D

If it's the same as mine it played about for a week or two then packed in , leaving me with a long push. Had Dr. Bob fix it as he said it was a 3 hour job ( or 3 days if i did it ).

Phil....:cool:

I expect Roj would fix it for you.

well its a 97 Wide Glide, and thanks Sue but Im takin it to Grizz I need it on road asap as my family are goin on hols with car (was takin sons,but he wrote it off) so I need some transport next week, not forgettin its the New Forest Rally that weekend too.

There is a good thread on this topic somewhere. The starter cluch is repairable for less than ?20, but takes time, its also fitted to a Jap car but memory fails me as to which one, I do remember it was a lot cheaper than OEM / aftermarket

Yeah i think ive heard about this,a toyota maybe,Im a bit pushed for time tho, so il have to bite the bullet i think.

Most Toyota,s have the same basic starter but the drive gear would probably be different... They are all Nippon Denso Starters..

Ive just checked the Zodiac catolog for the clutch there are 3 different part numbers and range from 50 to 120 quid which is pricey the eqivalent for a car would be about 30... To actually fit the clutch would only take about 15 mins but I would not no how long to take the starter off the bike...

The problem is definetly the starter clutch..

The other most common fault is they just click when you turn the key or push the button then they finnaly catch this gets worse and worse untill the thing wont turn at all.. This is only usealy due to burnt out contacts in the solenoid which is a cheap and simple repair about 5 mins...

Cheers Mike

superglide80 said:
well its a 97 Wide Glide, and thanks Sue but Im takin it to Grizz I need it on road asap as my family are goin on hols with car (was takin sons,but he wrote it off) so I need some transport next week, not forgettin its the New Forest Rally that weekend too.
If you are taking it into the shop never mind.
1.5 hours labour at our shop.

Thanks Phil, yes I was told about an hour to fix it.Lets hope it all goes well. :confused:

Grizz sounds the best idea....

I own a auto electric reconditioners and have never pushed the bike starters maybe a few quid to be earnt....

Good Luck Mike

Well with all the evos in this club maybe you could be on a nice little earner, think I'l bring my old one home,and get it recond,maybe have a chat with you if your at the Bell Sat nite eh ?

Back