Sport glide

Mutley

Well, I bought a second hand sport glide as my first Harley, and thought I’d update on how it’s going.

First change: better seat…. Saddlemen explorer. Far better than the original, and a decent pillion for the wife.
Second: Rack and sissy bar with pad so wife is comfy
Third: Miller silencer, gets rid of the “cat” so the bike can run cooler.
Fourth: S&S air filter and stage one tune.. bike does seem to run better and pull harder.
Fifth: 4 inch up n back risers for handlebars so the riding position suits me better than stock.
Sixth: fitted an ohlins shock, bought second hand. Easy enough to fit after watching YouTube (might remove it to lengthen it a little to sit the back higher)
….thanks to “sarge” member o; here I believe for the shock
Seventh: fitted Denali mini sound bomb horn , as original was useless tinny pathetic “meep” that wasn’t going to wake anyone up.

im liking this bike, so think she will be around for a while.

Oops, forgot…. Pyramid front fender extender….. helps with less crap on front of bike…. cheap, but better than nothing.

As a sport glide owner, why did you feel the need to change the shock was it 2 up riding? ive not done a lot of miles on mine since i bougt it a couple of months back (about 800) but so far no complaimts on the stock shock or forks

Seat i found comfy for myself but fugly, so also changed it, along with the stock pipe and front indicators. had a quick rip around on it today and like yourself, think its a keeper!

chopper

the rear shock was harsh, especially two up. Saw the ohlins for sale, and decided it was worth it to upgrade.
fitted it ( easy enough) and took it for a ride……. The difference to the standard shock was night and day. Far more compliant, as the spring is correct for my weight. Might lengthen it a little ( adjustable by a few millimetres) so that the rear sits slightly higher, so this will alter the rear ride height, putting a little more weight on the front…. Better turn in.
once I’d changed the rear, I noticed the front forks are choppy too, and as no real adjustments possible, I might start saving up for ohlins on the front too……

How about trying thicker fork oil before looking at fork spring replacement ?

Think the oil is thick enough….maybe too thick as forks are choppy over poor surfaces. They don’t react quick enough, so maybe thinner oil my assist.

Back